A New Jersey stewards hearing Wednesday will determine whether or when jockey Tomas Mejia will be able to return to riding in the state.
As Thoroughbred Daily News reported Friday, Mejia was removed from weekend mounts at Monmouth Park, with no reason provided.
But a report by the Paulick Report indicated that the reason might be related to a "suspicious" photo that initially was published by the track on Facebook after Mejia scored a comeback win on Sept. 3. The photo shows what might be an object in Mejia's left hand. The photo was taken down, but it already had begun circulating on social media.
Mejia's agent, Robert Tuccille, told Horse Racing Nation that he was aware of the hearing but declined to comment, saying no information had been provided to him by Mejia or by the stewards. "This is a tough situation that caught me off guard."
Monmouth Park racing secretary John Heims also declined to comment to HRN, but he said a statement likely would be issued after Wednesday's hearing.
Mejia has a record of 149: 19-17-19 for the current meet at Monmouth, ranking No. 10 in the wins column.