The Kentucky Derby 2020 field is coming into picture, but it is still difficult to tell if there will be a full gate of 20 runners or less than that. At least 20 horses have entered the Derby every year since 2003.
Right now, there are 16 horses where the connections have indicated they intend to run in the Derby. Those are: Tiz the Law, Authentic, Art Collector, Honor A. P., Ny Traffic, King Guillermo, Thousand Words, Dr Post, Max Player, Caracaro, Enforceable, Major Fed, Attachment Rate, Sole Volante, Finnick the Fierce and Necker Island.
Of those 16 intending to run, only Necker Island lacks the sufficient points to get into the field. He currently ranks 23rd, but several horses ranked above him likely will not run.
Horses expected to run in Derby (16)
|Horse||Points||Last race / Status|
|Tiz the Law||372||1st, Travers Stakes|
|Authentic||200||1st, Haskell Stakes|
|Art Collector||150||1st, Ellis Park Derby|
|Honor A. P.||140||2nd, Shared Belief|
|Ny Traffic||110||2nd, Haskell Stakes|
|King Guillermo||90||2nd, Arkansas Derby|
|Thousand Words||83||1st, Shared Belief|
|Dr Post||80||3rd, Haskell Stakes|
|Max Player||60||3rd, Travers Stakes|
|Caracaro||60||2nd, Travers Stakes|
|Enforceable||43||4th, Blue Grass Stakes|
|Major Fed||38||2nd, Indiana Derby|
|Attachment Rate||35||2nd, Ellis Park Derby|
|Sole Volante||30||6th, Belmont Stakes|
|Finnick the Fierce||25||7th, Blue Grass Stakes|
|Necker Island||14||3rd, Ellis Park Derby|
In addition, the connections for 12 horses have said the Derby is still a consideration. Listed in order of Derby points, they are:
Horses still under Derby consideration (12)
Runs in Alabama Saturday; Oaks is first choice, Derby only a possibility
|Shivaree||40||7th in Travers; decision pending|
|Rushie||40||3rd in Blue Grass; decision pending; costs $45,000 to supplement|
|Storm the Court||36||2nd in La Jolla on turf in last; decision likely next week|
|Pneumatic||25||Entered in Pegasus Saturday|
|Uncle Chuck||20||6th in Travers; Baffert said "no plans yet" on Tuesday|
|Winning Impression||20||7th in Ellis Derby; Dallas Stewart said a decision would be made next week.|
|Jesus' Team||10||Entered in Pegasus|
|Kiss Today Goodbye||10||Going to try turf next, Derby is "very unlikely"|
|Shirl's Speight||0||Under consideration|
|Happy Saver||0||Not under consideration at this time, could change if the field changes|
|Money Moves||0||Not under consideration at this time, that could change if the field changes|
• Shirl's Speight is undefeated in two starts in Canada on turf and synthetic, but trainer Roger Attfield noted that there would be concerns about shipping to the U.S.
• Rushie, who was third in the Blue Grass, would need to be supplemented to the race for $45,000, which is in addition to $25,000 to enter and $25,000 to start. Trainer Michael McCarthy said that it's his decision to make.
• Storm the Court hasn't won in five starts since the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. But owner David Bernsen indicated that he's confident Storm the Court would get the Derby distance. "I have always felt since day one he is a stayer who has a long sustained run and his future may well be 1 1/2 miles on the grass, but there is one thing for sure, his getting 1 1/4 miles in the Kentucky Derby won't be an issue so that is half the battle."
Horses ruled out recently
• Brad Cox said that Shared Sense would not run in the Derby and be pointed to a fall campaign.
• Anneau d'Or will not run in the Derby. "He'll go to pasture a little while," said trainer Blaine Wright.
• Trainer Bill Mott said that he hadn't spoken to the owners yet, but South Bend, who was fourth in the Travers, would likely be pointed for the Jim Dandy.
• Country Grammer was ruled out of the Derby by trainer Chad Brown.
• Rowdy Yates, who was fourth in the Ellis Park Derby, would be shipped to Remington Park and may be pointed to the Oklahoma Derby, according to owner Michael Levinson.
Below is the list of 16 horses expected to run along with Shirl's Speight, for a total of 17.
Note: Includes additional reporting from Carolyn Greer and Ron Flatter.