The $250,000 Springboard Mile, the top 2-year-old race of the Remington Park Thoroughbred Season, will also wrap up the season as the 10th and final event on.
Suddenbreakingnews, winner of the $100,000 Clever Trevor Stakes on at Remington Park, heads the locally-based runners for the Springboard. Owned by Samuel Henderson of Odessa, Texas and trained by Donnie Von Hemel, Suddenbreakingnews will be ridden by Luis Quinonez in the Springboard.
A gelding by Mineshaft, Suddenbreakingnews won the Clever Trevor with a rally, scoring by a half-length in the seven-furlong event. A versatile first-year competitor, Suddenbreakingnews will stretch back out to one mile and around two turns for the Springboard. The Clever Trevor Stakes was his only attempt at one turn. He broke his maiden going one mile in September and had actually crossed the finish first in a 7-1/2 furlong maiden event over turf in August before disqualified for interference.
Half of the dozen entered for the Springboard made their most recent start at Remington Park. The other six made their most recent attempts at Churchill Downs (5 entrants) or Del Mar (Esposito).
The field for the Springboard Mile by post-position and program number with trainer and jockey:
1. Suddenbreakingnews: Donnie Von Hemel, Luis Quinonez
2. Esposito: Tom Proctor, Drayden Van Duke
3. Battle Tap: Steve Asmussen, Rafael Santana
4. Giant Trick: Jack Van Berg, Danny Sorenson
5. Blue Wings: Patrick Huffman, Julian Leparoux
6. Uncle Brennie: Brad Cox, Chris Landeros
7. Discreetness: William Fires, Jon Court
8. Blanket Of Ice: Chris Hartman, Ramon Vazquez
9. Better Than Magic: Bret Calhoun, Cliff Berry
10. Cutacorner: Jack Van Berg, Quincy Hamilton
11. Evan Deadly Sins: Boyd Caster, Lindey Wade
12. Cash Bonus: Bret Calhoun, C.J. McMahon
The Springboard is also the final mount at Remington Park for jockey Cliff Berry who is planning to retire from the saddle after riding Better Than Magic in the race. Berry is Remington Park's all-time leading jockey by wins and earnings.
The Springboard Mile is slated foras the 10th race on a program of 10. The other stakes races on the final day of the Remington Park season include:
- $50,000 Jim Thorpe Stakes, 3-year-old Oklahoma-breds, 1 mile, race 1 at
- $100,000 She’s All In Stakes, fillies and mares 3 and older, 1 mile-70 yards, race 2 at
- $50,000 Useeit Stakes, 3-year-old Oklahoma-bred fillies, 1 mile, race 8 at
- $100,000 Trapeze Stakes, 2-year-old fillies, one mile, race 9 at
The first race onis at . All Times are Central.
Source: Remington Park