Carrying victories from his last two races, Promise Keeper (7-2) drew the inside post and was installed as a tepid, morning-line favorite against 10 rivals in Saturday’s Grade 3, $500,000 Ohio Derby at Thistledown.
Trained by Todd Pletcher for Woodford Thoroughbreds, WinStar Farm and Rock Ridge Racing, the 3-year-old colt by Constitution will be ridden again by Luis Sáez. He has been the jockey for all five of Promise Keeper’s races, including his win last month in the Peter Pan (G3) at Belmont Park.
Keepmeinmind (4-1), seventh in the Kentucky Derby and fourth in the Preakness, drew post 8 for trainer Robertino Diodoro. The Laoban colt’s regular jockey, David Cohen, will try to ride him to his first win since the Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) last November at Churchill Downs.
King Fury (9-2), winner of the Lexington Stakes (G3), drew post 4 for trainer Ken McPeek, with Corey Lanerie getting the ride. Allowance winner Proxy (5-1) will start from gate 9 with Joe Bravo riding for Mike Stidham.
Following is the full field for the 1 1/8-mile race with post positions (trainers, jockeys) and morning-line odds:
1. Promise Keeper (Todd Pletcher, Luis Sáez) 7-2
2. Falcons Fury (Tim Maxey, Edgar Paucar) 30-1
3. Hozier (Rodolphe Brisset, Chris Landeros) 12-1
4. King Fury (Ken McPeek, Corey Lanerie) 9-2
5. Ethical Judgement (Brendan Walsh, Martín García) 8-1
6. Hello Hot Rod (Caio Caramori, Francisco Arrieta) 15-1
7. The Reds (John Kimmel, Dylan Davis) 6-1
8. Keepmeinmind (Robertino Diodoro, David Cohen) 4-1
9. Proxy (Mike Stidham, Joe Bravo) 5-1
10. Masqueparade (Al Stall Jr., Miguel Mena) 8-1
11. Channel Fury (James Jackson, Luis Rivera) 20-1
The National Weather Service forecasts a 70 percent chance of showers Saturday for Thistledown and the Cleveland area.
|Rank||Silks||Horse / Sire||Rating||Trainer / Jockey||Last Start||Status|
Pioneerof the Nile
|A. Stall, Jr.|
Even the Score