Parx Racing has canceled all of its open stakes for the rest of the year, including the Pennsylvania Derby and Cotillion Stakes, both of which are $1 million, Grade 1 events.
Thoroughbred Daily News reports the cancellations are a result of the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic, including the three-plus month shutdown of the on-track casino that contributes to the Parx purse fund.
Parx Racing Secretary David Osojnak said the track will use the purse money earmarked for open stakes to keep purses for overnight races near their 2019 levels.
Both Grade 1 races had been rescheduled to Sept. 26 on a card that also included the Turf Amazon Stakes, the Parx Dirt Mile and the Gallant Bob Stakes (G2).
Parx Racing Secretary David Osojnak, who was not immediately available for comment Wednesday, told TDN's Bill Finley that the rescheduling of the Kentucky Derby to Sept. 5 was also part of the problem. When the Kentucky Derby was rescheduled, that left the Parx stakes three weeks after the Run for the Roses and a week ahead of the Preakness.
The on-track casino closed March 16 and re-opened June 29, but is still only operating at 50 percent capacity.