Report: Battle of Midway euthanized after training injury

February 23, 2019 12:13pm

Battle of Midway, the 5-year-old horse who appeared back in peak form Feb. 2 when winning Santa Anita’s San Pasqual Stakes, broke down in morning training Saturday and was subsequently euthanized, BloodHorse's Jeremy Balan reports.

According to Balan, Fernando Diaz-Valdes, racing manager for co-owner Don Alberto Stable, said Battle of Midway shattered the pastern in his hind leg. Attempts were made to save the horse, "but the vets say there’s no way,” Diaz-Valdes said.

"There’s no words," he added. "For us, it’s the loss of a child."

WinStar Farm also campaigned the son of Smart Strike, who was targeting the March 30 Dubai World Cup (G1) for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.

"He was a warrior & loved to run," Elliott Walden, president and CEO of WinStar, tweeted Saturday. "I saw him breeze last week & he looked super. This is an awful tragedy & please pray for all."

Battle of Midway finished third in the Kentucky Derby and won the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile as a 3-year-old, after which he was retired to stud. Found to be subfertile, however, he returned to training last year, running six more races with victories in three of the last four.

In his career finale, Battle of Midway out-dueled McKinzie in a thrilling stretch duel over the Santa Anita slop. He won eight of 16 career races in all, earning more than $1.5 million.

Battle of Midway was represented by his first foal on Feb. 7. He was said to have impregnated five mares of 61 to which he was bred.

 

comments powered by Disqus

Related Pages

Top Stories