Max Player 'likely' to stay in New York for the Belmont Stakes

Max Player 'likely' to stay in New York for the Belmont Stakes
Photo: Eclipse Sportswire

Withers Stakes (G3) winner Max Player appears to be staying home for the newly-rescheduled Belmont Stakes on June 20.

Trainer Linda Rice said in a tweet on Tuesday that the 3-year-old son of Honor Code is "likely" for what is now the opening leg of the 2020 Triple Crown.

Max Player was previously considered a probable starter in Saturday's $150,000 Matt Winn Stakes (G3) at Churchill Downs. That was, however, until a major race hit the schedule in his backyard in New York.

Owned by George Hall, Max Player got his start on the 2020 Kentucky Derby Trail with his rallying win in the Withers, covering 1 1/8 mile in 1:53.87. 


It was a jump in class after Max Player opened his career with a runner-up and victory on the Parx Racing circuit.

Rice said after the Withers that the Wood Memorial (G2) was a possible next step, but that race, scheduled for April 4, was canceled
 in March along with the rest of the Aqueduct meet amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Since then, Max Player has been working out at Belmont, last breezing 6 furlongs in 1:14.64 on May 12.

Top Stories

Bruce Lunsford's homebred Art Collector earned him...
Rushing Fall achieved a remarkable milestone Satur...
Grade 1 winners Guarana and Mia Mischief put on a...
Following four straight runner-ups -- including a...
Bob Baffert's workers Maximum Security and Authent...