Los Alamitos opens next Friday; see meet details here

Los Alamitos opens next Friday; see meet details here
Photo: Casey Phillips / Eclipse Sportswire

Four stakes worth a combined $300,000 highlight the 2022 September Thoroughbred meet at Los Alamitos.

The seven-day season will begin Friday, Sept. 16, and continue through Sunday, Sept. 25. Racing will be conducted Friday-Sunday the first week (Sept. 16-18) and Thursday-Sunday (Sept. 22-25) the final four days. Post time will be 4 p.m. EDT on weekdays (Sept. 16, Sept. 22 & 23) and 3:30 p.m. EDT on weekends (Sept. 18-19 and 24-25).

The first of the stakes races is the $75,000 E.B. Johnston for 3-year-olds and up bred or sired in California. The one-mole race will be run on Saturday, Sept. 17.

The following day, fillies and mares, 3-year-olds and up, will get together in the $75,000 Dark Mirage Stakes at 1 1/16 miles.

Completing the stakes schedule are the $75,000 Los Alamitos Special for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/16 miles and the $75,000 Capote for 2-year-olds at 6 1/2 furlongs. The Special will be offered Saturday, Sept. 24, and the Capote will be run on closing day, Sunday, Sept. 25.

The wagering menu includes a pair of $1 Pick 4s on races 2-5 and the final four races along with a $2 Pick Six as well as the Players’ Pick 5 – a 50-cent minimum bet with a reduced takeout rate of 14 percent rate – on the first five races.

The Pick Six will have the standard 70-30 split, with 70 percent of the pool going to those tickets with six winners with the remaining 30 percent going to tickets with five of six winners.

There also will be a handicapping contest on Saturday, Sept. 24, and the Los Alamitos Racing Association will offer a cash prize and a pair of berths in the 2023 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Handicapping Championship in Las Vegas.

The cost to enter is $500. Of that amount, $100 will be placed in the contest prize pool, with the remaining $400 going toward a live money wagering card.

Tournament races will consist of the entire card at Los Alamitos, and the permitted wagers are win, place, show, exactas, trifectas and daily doubles. Each entry must bet at least $50 on a minimum of five races that day, but there is no wagering limit.

The player with the highest bankroll at the end of the day will be declared the winner, and the player with the second highest bankroll will be the runner-up.

The winner will receive 50 percent of the prize pool. The remaining payoffs: 20 percent, second place), 15 percent, third place, 7.5 percent, fourth place, and 7.5 percent, most money wagered.

Entries for opening day of the September Thoroughbred meet will be taken on Tuesday, Sept. 13.

Top Stories

New York Jason Servis, for years one of the top Th...
The 1 1/16 mile Grade 1, $300,000 Starlet Stakes w...
In this biweekly series, racing analyst Keeler Joh...
Caution: Some facets of horse racing may be habit...
For bettors, Tyler’s Tribe  always will come acros...
x