Dosage Index (DI) is a metaphor for genetic suitability to run ten furlongs. This can be helpful in determining which horses will run best in the 2012 Kentucky Derby.
- 14 of the last 25 Kentucky Derby winners (56%) come from the Raise A Native sire line.
- 11 of the last 17 winners (65%) come from the Raise A Native sire line.
- 8 of the last 12 winners (67%) come from the Raise A Native sire line.
- Only 5 winners of the Kentucky Derby (in the last 71 years) since 1940 (Strike The Gold (1991); Real Quiet (1998); Charismatic (1999); Giacomo (2005), and Mine That Bird (2009)) have had a Dosage Index above 4.00.
- Even though the aforementioned 5 horses won the Kentucky Derby within the last 2 decades (21 years to be exact), the percentage of 5 out of 71 (1940-2011) is just 7% overall.
- Probably more important, helpful or relevant in this day and age is a current Average Dosage Index figure instead of just considering the 4.00 threshold exclusively.
Check out the complete Kentucky Derby 2012 Dosage Report & Sire Lines.