'In excellent condition,' Winx to continue racing in 2019

Jockey Hugh Bowman and Winx
Photo: Sharon Lee Champan

The great Australian mare Winx will look to extend her 29-race winning streak, as trainer Chris Waller announced Thursday that the soon-to-be 8-year-old mare will run this spring (the Southern Hemisphere’s autumn) with a campaign to “again be treated as a race by race scenario.”

“She has nothing left to prove to us or her many followers, and we are under no illusion that she is getting a little older,” Waller said in a statement. “However, she is in excellent condition both physically and mentally, and had she not pleased us in any area of her well-being or mental state, she would have been retired immediately.”

Waller stressed that Winx’s career could still end at any point should that change. The decision was made with input from Winx's ownership -- Magic Bloodstock, Debbie Kepitis and Richard Treweeke -- along with jockey Hugh Boman.

As for a race schedule, the daughter of Street Cry isn’t committed to a certain fixture, but Waller said “it would be logical to follow the path we have previously, commencing in the Apollo Stakes at Royal Randwick in February, and if she did manage to get through a four-race preparation it would most likely culminate in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.”

The tone of Waller’s statement is clear: Connections know what they’re doing, and despite the wishes of the public, they required a continual healthy and happy horse. But where Winx goes, massive crowds follow.

A trip overseas still appears off the table.

“There will be many questions from different sectors relating to racing in other jurisdictions, which in itself could include numerous options,” Waller said. “However, we have and will continue to keep things simple with Winx,” Waller said, “and I believe that has been a big part of her longevity as well as something we are very proud of.”

 

comments powered by Disqus

Related Pages

Top Stories