Saturday’s Philip H. Iselin Stakes (G3) drew an evenly-matched field of eight colts and geldings, all attempting to take home the winner’s share of the $250,000 purse.
This weekend’s running of the Iselin will be the 77th renewal of the race that dates all the way back to 1884 when it was originally called the Monmouth Handicap.
The historic race has featured a number of the sport’s most recognizable names including the likes of Kelso, Forego, Spectacular Bid, Alysheba, Serena’s Song, Skip Away and Ghostzapper.
Scheduled as the 10th race on a 12-race program, the Iselin will feature the return of 2009 victor Chirac who will be making his first start for trainer Pat McBurney on Saturday. The full field, from the rail out, with rider assignments is:
1. Dueling Alex (Michael Luzzi)
2. Chirac (Channing Hill)
3. Where’s Sterling (Paco Lopez)
4. Alma D’Oro (Joe Bravo)
5. Ponzi Scheme (Jose Valdivia, Jr.)
6. Southern Ridge (Carlos Marquez, Jr.)
7. Pleasant Prince (Elvis Trujillo)
8. Cactus Charlie (Shannon Uske)