The sixth Kentucky Derby Sire Future Wager will be offered as a one-time opportunity to pick the sire of the 2021 winner of the Run for the Roses.
There are 23 individual sires offered to bettors along with the mutuel field option known as #24 “All Other Sires.” Offspring sired by Into Mischief and Tapit were made the co-individual favorites at 6-1 on the morning line. The overall favorite is the “All Other Sires” betting interest, which was made 9-2.
The KDFSW opens Thursday at noon and will close Sunday at 6 p.m. ET.
Here are five keys to help with your KDSFW wagers.
1) In all five of the prior KDSFW bets, the winning sire was one of the individual betting interests.
2) In four out of five years, the KDSFW victor paid more on a $2 future win wager than his son returned on Derby day.
2020: Into Mischief - $36.20, Authentic - $18.80
2018: Scat Daddy - $54.80, Justify - $7.80*
2017: Bodemeister - $63.60, Always Dreaming - $11.40*
2016: Uncle Mo - $20.20, Nyquist - $6.60*
Keep in mind that in some of those years, the victorious sire might have been represented by more than one horse when the wager was made.
3) Since 2010, a different stallion has sired the winner of the Derby every year.
2020: Into Mischief
2019: Lookin At Lucky
2018: Scat Daddy
2016: Uncle Mo
2015: Pioneerof the Nile
2014: Lucky Pulpit
2013: Malibu Moon
2012: Flower Alley
2010: Maria’s Mon
4) Tapit was the favored individual betting interest at 7-1 in 2017 and 6-1 in 2019.
Frequently the leading sire in North America, Tapit has yet to sire the winner of the Kentucky Derby. Sons of Tapit tend to be headstrong and immature as juveniles and well into their 3-year-old campaigns.
This could be the year all that changes because the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner and likely 2-Year-Old Champion Essential Quality is by Tapit.
5) Two sires on the list are represented in Kentucky Derby Future Wager pool 1 by multiple horses.
Dialed In: Get Her Number, Super Stock
Into Mischief: Highly Motivated, Life is Good, Scarred