While I think NYRA had privately wanted to cancel earlier, I also think they may have been under pressure from owners of some horses who were entered on Sunday to wait as long as possible before canceling, especially if such owners (and even more so those with horses in the Personal Ensign) might not have been able to make a return trip to see their horses run later this week in rescheduled runnings of such races. That may to me have been why NYRA waited so long even, hoping against hope that Irene would make a sharp right out to sea.
I already wrote a full commentary on this in response to another HRN article by Brian Zipse as well as in response to Steve Crist at DRF at: http://www.toosmarttofail.com/forums/showthread.php?11371 where I note for NYRA to get the Breeders' Cup again, NYRA will need to install lights at Belmont Park and get the laws changed to where NYRA would be permitted to run a limited number of night programs
In a nutshell, my opinion there is for NYRA to get the BC again, they will have to install lights, which I think will be a requirement of ANY track to host the BC in the future. It's also why aside from 2012 I can see Churchill hosting several Breeders' Cups in a row unless another track capable of racing at night makes a serious bid to host the BC.
I've written a complete response to bother Brian's blog and that of Steve Crist's at Daily Racing Form (where he blasts the BC for not giving the 2012 BC to Belmont Park) at: http://www.toosmarttofail.com/forums/showthread.php?11371
Just shows how close we really are to the Saratoga meet. A really nice article.
Copyright © 2013 Immerse!, LLC
Welcome To Horse Racing Nation!
other passionate horse racing fans!
Login | Signup | No thanks, just browsing...