• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Zito Hopes Sophomores Keep Improving

Absent from the Triple Crown this year, Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito is hoping to make some noise in the 3-year-old division beginning this weekend.

On Friday, he will send out the lightly raced Easter Gift, second by a neck to Le Bernardin in the Grade 3 Pegasus last time out, in the $100,000 Curlin. Saturday, he saddles Grade 2 Dwyer runner-up Fast Falcon in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy, and Sunday he will have recent acquisition Fort Loudon in the Grade 2 Amsterdam.

“By the one horse running Friday, and Fast Falcon Saturday, it still gives us hope, and it’s very nice,” said Zito, who won the Kentucky Derby with Strike the Gold (1991) and Go for Gin (1994), the Preakness with Louis Quatorze (1996) and the Belmont with Birdstone (2004) and Da’ Tara (2008).

“You know, for the first time not being in the Triple Crown in a long time, and I always say this, I’m lucky and blessed,” he said. “When you miss a year or two, you’re supposed to. That’s just the business. I’ve been blessed, so I’m happy. I’m certainly happy to get back into this deal. Like I always say, God’s been good to me, and getting me back into the second half of the season would be great.”