• Hunt (3-1) waits and then blows by in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 16 minutes ago
  • Lady Eli (9-10), giving eight pounds, edges Quidura on the wire of the Grade 1 Diana.Posted 23 minutes ago
  • Firenze Fire (12-1) holds off Free Drop Billy in the Sanford Stakes.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Twisted Tom (7-10) scores a hard-earned win in the New York Derby.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Proctor's Ledge (6-1), with first-time Lasix, rolls on the turf in the Lake George.Posted 1 day ago
  • Dream It Is (4-1) romps in the Grade 3 Schuylerville at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Indycott (7-5) wins the opener, as they're off at Saratoga!Posted 1 day ago
  • Bowies Hero (3-1) much the best in the Oceanside Stakes on opening day at Del Mar.Posted 2 days ago
  • Irap (7-5) romps home a big winner of the Indiana Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Eagle (5-2) rides the rail to victory in the Schaefer Memorial.Posted 6 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Zito Hopes Sophomores Keep Improving

Absent from the Triple Crown this year, Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito is hoping to make some noise in the 3-year-old division beginning this weekend.

On Friday, he will send out the lightly raced Easter Gift, second by a neck to Le Bernardin in the Grade 3 Pegasus last time out, in the $100,000 Curlin. Saturday, he saddles Grade 2 Dwyer runner-up Fast Falcon in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy, and Sunday he will have recent acquisition Fort Loudon in the Grade 2 Amsterdam.

“By the one horse running Friday, and Fast Falcon Saturday, it still gives us hope, and it’s very nice,” said Zito, who won the Kentucky Derby with Strike the Gold (1991) and Go for Gin (1994), the Preakness with Louis Quatorze (1996) and the Belmont with Birdstone (2004) and Da’ Tara (2008).

“You know, for the first time not being in the Triple Crown in a long time, and I always say this, I’m lucky and blessed,” he said. “When you miss a year or two, you’re supposed to. That’s just the business. I’ve been blessed, so I’m happy. I’m certainly happy to get back into this deal. Like I always say, God’s been good to me, and getting me back into the second half of the season would be great.”