• Competitive Edge returns in style at Gulfstream Park, leaving Mr. Jordan in his wake.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Shared Belief will run next in the Charles Town Classic, according to Jim Rome.Posted 1 day ago
  • California Chrome draws the #9 post in the $10 million Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Firing Line romps home in the Sunland Derby by a pole!Posted 5 days ago
  • Maybellene is put in the Sunland Park Oaks, as Callback is disqualified.Posted 5 days ago
  • El Kabeir works 5F in 59.97 at Belmont Park in preparation for the Wood Memorial on April 4Posted 5 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar surprises in the San Luis Rey at Santa AnitaPosted 6 days ago
  • Dubai Sky upsets Turfway Park's Spiral Stakes Posted 6 days ago
  • Don't Leave Me takes the Bourbonette Oaks (G3) at Turfway ParkPosted 6 days ago
  • By The Moon rolls in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 6 days ago

Zito Hopes Sophomores Keep Improving

Absent from the Triple Crown this year, Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito is hoping to make some noise in the 3-year-old division beginning this weekend.

On Friday, he will send out the lightly raced Easter Gift, second by a neck to Le Bernardin in the Grade 3 Pegasus last time out, in the $100,000 Curlin. Saturday, he saddles Grade 2 Dwyer runner-up Fast Falcon in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy, and Sunday he will have recent acquisition Fort Loudon in the Grade 2 Amsterdam.

“By the one horse running Friday, and Fast Falcon Saturday, it still gives us hope, and it’s very nice,” said Zito, who won the Kentucky Derby with Strike the Gold (1991) and Go for Gin (1994), the Preakness with Louis Quatorze (1996) and the Belmont with Birdstone (2004) and Da’ Tara (2008).

“You know, for the first time not being in the Triple Crown in a long time, and I always say this, I’m lucky and blessed,” he said. “When you miss a year or two, you’re supposed to. That’s just the business. I’ve been blessed, so I’m happy. I’m certainly happy to get back into this deal. Like I always say, God’s been good to me, and getting me back into the second half of the season would be great.”