• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 6 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 6 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 6 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 6 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 7 days ago

Zito Hopes Sophomores Keep Improving

Absent from the Triple Crown this year, Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito is hoping to make some noise in the 3-year-old division beginning this weekend.

On Friday, he will send out the lightly raced Easter Gift, second by a neck to Le Bernardin in the Grade 3 Pegasus last time out, in the $100,000 Curlin. Saturday, he saddles Grade 2 Dwyer runner-up Fast Falcon in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy, and Sunday he will have recent acquisition Fort Loudon in the Grade 2 Amsterdam.

“By the one horse running Friday, and Fast Falcon Saturday, it still gives us hope, and it’s very nice,” said Zito, who won the Kentucky Derby with Strike the Gold (1991) and Go for Gin (1994), the Preakness with Louis Quatorze (1996) and the Belmont with Birdstone (2004) and Da’ Tara (2008).

“You know, for the first time not being in the Triple Crown in a long time, and I always say this, I’m lucky and blessed,” he said. “When you miss a year or two, you’re supposed to. That’s just the business. I’ve been blessed, so I’m happy. I’m certainly happy to get back into this deal. Like I always say, God’s been good to me, and getting me back into the second half of the season would be great.”