• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Wise Dan Looks Super in Fourstardave Workout

Wise Dan wins 2013 Firecracker at Churchill Downs.
Photo: Churchill Downs/Reed Palmer
Horse of the Year Wise Dan went out to the Oklahoma turf course Saturday morning for what likely will be his only work for the Grade 2, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap on August 10.

Under regular exercise rider Damien Rock, Wise Dan hit the turf course at 9:45 a.m., with trainer Charles LoPresti watching, and unleashed a sensational five-furlong work in 57.38 seconds. NYRA clockers caught the 6-year-old gelding galloping out six furlongs in 1:09.16 and seven in 1:22.56. His opening three-eighths fraction was 34 4/5 seconds.

"I never in my life had a horse like this," LoPresti said afterward. "People don't believe me when I tell them, but he's a freak of nature, this horse."

Wise Dan had a one-mile blowout on the main track last week, but LoPresti considered this Wise Dan's first significant drill since the Grade 2 Firecracker on June 29 at Churchill Downs. LoPresti had not wanted a work quite that fast, but he had no complaints afterward.

"He was never asked for anything, I'll tell you," LoPresti said. "I would have liked for him to have gone in a minute, but that turf is not real soft right now. But I don't worry about him. He does what he wants to do. He's a horse that does it the way he wants to do it. You can't make him do things you want him to do. If he had worked real slow, I might have had to come back and do something else, but this looks like it's going to put me right where I want to be."

Rock marveled after the workout, saying despite his extensive experience, Wise Dan continues to surprise him.

"He's so hard to judge; he's got that huge stride," Rock said. "Once he starts going 11s [seconds] like that, you pretty much have to sit there and let him go because that's when he's comfortable.

"For me, clocking in my head over the year, I feel like I'm going closer to 59 on him, and then you come back and hear the time. Every time I go out on him on the grass, I feel like I know him more and I've gotten closer to [hitting the scheduled time], and it's like his stride has gotten bigger this year. This year, he's been flying over the track from Day 1. He just feels like a powerhouse underneath me."