• There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 6 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 8 days ago

Wise Dan Breezes Six Furlongs at Saratoga

Two-time reigning Horse of the Year Wise Dan, trained by Charlie LoPresti for Morton Fink, took to the Saratoga main track Saturday morning in preparation for a possible start later in the meet. Working in tandem with another LoPresti horse, the champion gelding went six furlongs in 1:13.25.

"I thought he went really well," said LoPresti. "We broke a horse off about six lengths ahead of him and he caught him, went to the wire with him and galloped out real good. I guess the time was good. I don't know what the black letter work was today. He got a really good blow out of it, so that told me I was probably a couple breezes short of the Fourstardave. Maybe we could have won it, but I think we did the right thing by giving him a little more time."

According to the trainer, the six-furlong team drill was the most rigorous work Wise Dan has logged since undergoing colic surgery on May 16.

"We worked him pretty hard today," said LoPresti. "He's had two five-eighths [of a mile breezes] and two halfs [since the colic surgery]. I pressed on him today because he needed that kind of work. If he's going to start getting ready for some of these races I want to see how he comes out of this. He's not tired, I can tell you that."

Wise Dan's next start is still up in the air, according to LoPresti, who will continue to monitor his star's progress before making a decision. The Grade 2, $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap, run at 1 1/16 miles on turf, and the Grade 1, $600,000 Woodward at 1 1/8 miles on dirt are both possibilities, with the Bernard Baruch the more likely of the two.

"The only way I'm going to know [which spot to go in] is in a few weeks time when I see how he progresses," said LoPresti. "If he's doing really well, why would I wait six weeks to go to Woodbine [in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile] when I can run him in four weeks here? Money doesn't matter with a horse like him now."