• Indycott (7-5) wins the opener, as they're off at Saratoga!Posted 3 hours ago
  • Bowies Hero (3-1) much the best in the Oceanside Stakes on opening day at Del Mar.Posted 1 day ago
  • Irap (7-5) romps home a big winner of the Indiana Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Eagle (5-2) rides the rail to victory in the Schaefer Memorial.Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast (2-5) powers home nicely in the Los Alamitos Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) wins the Delaware Handicap by only a length.Posted 5 days ago
  • Disco Partner (7-5) runs away from his Forbidden Apple competition.Posted 5 days ago
  • Frostmourne (1-2) turns the Kent Stakes into his own private party.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harry Angel defeats Limato and Caravaggio in the Group 1 July Cup.Posted 6 days ago
  • European champion filly Minding has been retired from racing.Posted 8 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Wise Dan Breezes Six Furlongs at Saratoga

Two-time reigning Horse of the Year Wise Dan, trained by Charlie LoPresti for Morton Fink, took to the Saratoga main track Saturday morning in preparation for a possible start later in the meet. Working in tandem with another LoPresti horse, the champion gelding went six furlongs in 1:13.25.

"I thought he went really well," said LoPresti. "We broke a horse off about six lengths ahead of him and he caught him, went to the wire with him and galloped out real good. I guess the time was good. I don't know what the black letter work was today. He got a really good blow out of it, so that told me I was probably a couple breezes short of the Fourstardave. Maybe we could have won it, but I think we did the right thing by giving him a little more time."

According to the trainer, the six-furlong team drill was the most rigorous work Wise Dan has logged since undergoing colic surgery on May 16.

"We worked him pretty hard today," said LoPresti. "He's had two five-eighths [of a mile breezes] and two halfs [since the colic surgery]. I pressed on him today because he needed that kind of work. If he's going to start getting ready for some of these races I want to see how he comes out of this. He's not tired, I can tell you that."

Wise Dan's next start is still up in the air, according to LoPresti, who will continue to monitor his star's progress before making a decision. The Grade 2, $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap, run at 1 1/16 miles on turf, and the Grade 1, $600,000 Woodward at 1 1/8 miles on dirt are both possibilities, with the Bernard Baruch the more likely of the two.

"The only way I'm going to know [which spot to go in] is in a few weeks time when I see how he progresses," said LoPresti. "If he's doing really well, why would I wait six weeks to go to Woodbine [in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile] when I can run him in four weeks here? Money doesn't matter with a horse like him now."