• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Wise Dan Blows Away BC Mile Rivals

Nov. 03, 2012 - Arcadia, California, U.S - Wise Dan ridden by John Velazquez and trained by Charles Lopresti, wins the Breeders' Cup Mile at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA

Wise Dan sat a perfect ground saving tactical trip and blew the doors off his rivals in Saturday's Grade I Breeders' Cup Mile at Santa Anita Park.

Obviously set realistic fractions for the first four furlongs but the tempo picked up considerably after that and Wise Dan was always traveling smoothly under John Velazquez.

Wise Dan tipped off the rail turning for home and the race was over in a matter of strides.

Animal Kingdom, making his first start in more than eight months, rallied for the place in a gallant effort.

Obviously held the show and Excelebration finished fourth.

Wise Dan, trained by Charles Lopresti and owned by Morton Fink, paid $5.60 to win. He is definitely a serious contender for Horse of the Year honors.

Quotes:

John Velazquez (jockey, Wise Dan, 1st) – “I just wanted to get him in the right position.  When I was able to do that, and you’ve got a horse as good as this, you can expect a result like this.”

Charles Lopresti (trainer, Wise Dan, 1st) – “I was able to use that race at Keeneland (Shadwell Turf Mile) as the perfect setup for today.  I didn’t have to do much with him.  He proved he was the best horse today. I never had any doubts. I was just a little concerned about how the race would shape up.  He’s just a special horse.  We’ll probably take him back to our farm in Kentucky and give him some time.  We’ll make a plan for him at the first of the year.”

Rafael Bejarano (jockey, Animal Kingdom, 2nd) – “They were going so fast early and I was stuck down inside. I had no choice. Then I had to go in and out of horses. When I finally got to ask him, he gave me a huge kick. I only wish I could have asked him earlier. The winner (Wise Dan) got first jump on me. If it is the other way around, it might have been a different finish.”

Graham Motion (trainer, Animal Kingdom, 2nd) – “Seconds are very tough and I have some tough second-place beats in the Breeders’ Cup.  I’m thrilled with the way he ran.  If he doesn’t get steadied at the top of the stretch … I don’t know.  What a great run and what a great horse.  He’s a special horse.”

Joe Talamo (jockey, Obviously, 3rd) – “We figured to be on the lead and we had an easy lead.  I just wish that outside horse (Suggestive Boy) hadn’t been out there.  He just put pressure on us.  I don’t know if that cost us the race, but we did feel it. He stayed on well.”

Joseph O’Brien (jockey, Excelebration, 4th) – “It has been only 14 days since his last start and this was his first time on a left-handed course. Things were disorganized in the race and he took a bit to catch up to it. I’m not sure you saw his best race.”

Aidan O’Brien (trainer, Excelebration, 4th) – “He’s run a good race.”

Thierry Jarnet (jockey, Moonlight Cloud, 8th) – “It was a bad race.  I couldn’t get out around the bend.”

Freddy Head (trainer, Moonlight Cloud, 8th) – “She had a rough trip and maybe got a bit discouraged.  It’s been a long season, but I’m a bit disappointed.  I thought she’d run better than that.”