• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Willard Proctor Memorial Quotes

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Willard L. Proctor Memorial Stakes

46th Running

5 ½ Furlongs

Jockey Quotes

JOE TALAMO, J P'S GUSTO, Winner: "He's really good.  I worked him once for David(Hofmans) and man he can really run.  I had a lot of horse going into the turn and the reason I moved him there is that the favorite was going so easy and I wanted to get the jump on her.  When I asked him, he just exploded.  I couldn't believe the final time because the last quarter he was just pricking his ears."

JOEL ROSARIO, BELLEOFTHEBRIDLE, Second: "The other horse ran too good today.My filly,she's a nice filly, but they were going fast and she just got outrun.  She ran so big first timeout thought I made the right choice. (Rosario had ridden the first and second horses in their debuts and picked Belleofthebridle to ride in the Proctor)"

Trainer Quotes

DAVID HOFMANS, J P'S GUSTO, Winner: "A horse like this makes an old man smile.  Two year olds keep you in the game.  I thought it was great when he broke so well because we've been doing a lot of work with him.  Physically, he's a beautiful horse, smart and real classy.  Joe rode him real well.  He let the three (Leon Ayala) soften up the favorite and then he went and got her.  He can really run.  He was compromised in his first race and Rosario just kind of schooled him because he knew it was too late."

Notes: The final time of 1:02.97 was a stakes record since the Proctor was lengthened to 5 ½ furlongs in 2006. The previous best of 1:03.04 was set by Backbackbackgone in 2008…It was the first win in the race for both Talamo and Hofmans.

Older Comments about Willard Proctor Memorial Quotes...

Mr. Proctor has been a patron of the game from before the time I began following it. These people are becoming as rare as a Siberian Tiger these days and we need to find more of them.