• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 1 day ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 4 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 4 days ago

Willard Proctor Memorial Quotes

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Willard L. Proctor Memorial Stakes

46th Running

5 ½ Furlongs

Jockey Quotes

JOE TALAMO, J P'S GUSTO, Winner: "He's really good.  I worked him once for David(Hofmans) and man he can really run.  I had a lot of horse going into the turn and the reason I moved him there is that the favorite was going so easy and I wanted to get the jump on her.  When I asked him, he just exploded.  I couldn't believe the final time because the last quarter he was just pricking his ears."

JOEL ROSARIO, BELLEOFTHEBRIDLE, Second: "The other horse ran too good today.My filly,she's a nice filly, but they were going fast and she just got outrun.  She ran so big first timeout thought I made the right choice. (Rosario had ridden the first and second horses in their debuts and picked Belleofthebridle to ride in the Proctor)"

Trainer Quotes

DAVID HOFMANS, J P'S GUSTO, Winner: "A horse like this makes an old man smile.  Two year olds keep you in the game.  I thought it was great when he broke so well because we've been doing a lot of work with him.  Physically, he's a beautiful horse, smart and real classy.  Joe rode him real well.  He let the three (Leon Ayala) soften up the favorite and then he went and got her.  He can really run.  He was compromised in his first race and Rosario just kind of schooled him because he knew it was too late."

Notes: The final time of 1:02.97 was a stakes record since the Proctor was lengthened to 5 ½ furlongs in 2006. The previous best of 1:03.04 was set by Backbackbackgone in 2008…It was the first win in the race for both Talamo and Hofmans.

Older Comments about Willard Proctor Memorial Quotes...

Mr. Proctor has been a patron of the game from before the time I began following it. These people are becoming as rare as a Siberian Tiger these days and we need to find more of them.