• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 23 hours ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 1 day ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 6 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 7 days ago

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.