• Miss Ella (5-2) wins the Caress Stakes at Saratoga for the second straight year.Posted 1 day ago
  • Madam Dancealot (21-1) rolls from last to win the San Clemente going away.Posted 1 day ago
  • Abel Tasman (4-5) edges Elate in the Coaching Club American Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (7-1) wins in a romp as Arrogate finishes way back in the San Diego Handicap. Posted 2 days ago
  • Hunt (3-1) waits and then blows by in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lady Eli (9-10), giving eight pounds, edges Quidura on the wire of the Grade 1 Diana.Posted 3 days ago
  • Firenze Fire (12-1) holds off Free Drop Billy in the Sanford Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (7-10) scores a hard-earned win in the New York Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Proctor's Ledge (6-1), with first-time Lasix, rolls on the turf in the Lake George.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dream It Is (4-1) romps in the Grade 3 Schuylerville at Saratoga.Posted 4 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.