• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 3 days ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 5 days ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 5 days ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 5 days ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 5 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.