• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 15 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 20 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.