• Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 1 day ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 1 day ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Patrona Margarita (23-1) draws clear in the Grade 2 Pocahontas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uni (6-5) runs down La Coronel in the Grade 2 Sands Point.Posted 2 days ago
  • Johnny Bear (9-1) noses out Hawkbill in the Grade 1 Northern Dancer Turf.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chublicious (10-1) upsets the Grade 3 Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash.Posted 2 days ago
  • The Tabulator (4-1) holds on in the Grade 3 Iroquois despite drifting out.Posted 2 days ago
  • Quidura (2-5) proves best in Grade 2 Canadian.Posted 2 days ago
  • Winx rolls late in the Colgate Optic White Stakes for her 20th straight victory!Posted 3 days ago

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.