• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 5 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 5 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 5 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 6 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 6 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 6 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 6 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 6 days ago

What's in a Name?

I don’t know about you guys, but when it comes to handicapping a race, the name of a horse is a huge factor for me. Even though I can read a program and tell you what each statistic means, and whose past performances are the best, the name still stands out above everything else on the page. Read More

Older Comments about What's in a Name? ...

You guys bet names, I'll bet speed! Ha!
There is an unwritten rule in horse racing: NEVER name a horse something that would not look good hanging over your mantle as odd named horses hardly EVER become champions. Equipoise, Esterminator, Domino, Imp, Stage Door Johnny, Run the Gauntlet....great names.
If you look at the list of Derby winners, they almost all have a Derby-winning name - Street Sense, War Emblem, Charismatic, Real Quiet, Silver Charm, etc. Lil E. Tee is the worst exception.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the name "Invasor", I was in Vegas and I immediately strode to the window and put $$$ down, and I'll be damned...the horse won! I know you guys want to know my favorites:LOL,,they are Zenyatta of course,very befitting a champion, her dad, Street Cry, Barbaro, Storm Cat(love him), and my derby horse Sidneys Candy, I've always been in love with Candy Ride and his name, some disagree with me but I think Secretariat was an awesome name too. Let's hear from you guys...what names do you like? :)
Then you would like Isitngood, Hoof Hearted or many others like the famous Sonza Beach.