Hi everyone! I am writing this out-of-cycle blog to let all of you know about an exciting event that is coming this weekend!
This Saturday (6/25/11) is the Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park! This annual event showcases the best in Illinois-bred horses in a series of six (yes count ‘em six) $100,000 stakes races. The races include (and not necessarily in this order):
- The Lincoln Heritage Handicap – 1 1/16 miles on the turf course for fillies and mares
- The White Oak Handicap – 6 furlongs on the all-weather track for 3 year old and upwards colts and geldings
- The Black Tie Affair Handicap – 1 1/16 miles on the turf course for 3 year old and upwards colts and geldings (some real good horses nominated here!!)
- The Isaac Murphy Handicap – 6 furlongs on the all-weather track for fillies and mares (Lose None and Royal Posh nominated)
- The Purple Violet Stakes – 1 mile on the all-weather track for 3 year old fillies
- The Springfield Stakes – 1 mile on the all-weather track for 3 year old colts and geldings
Also inside of the great card expected for the Prairie State Festival is a race dedicated to the Galloping Out Foundation which raises money for the rescue and care of retired thoroughbred race horses. All purses and commissions for this race will be donated to the foundation by Arlington Park!
Then it gets even better! (as if that were even possible…)
Following the race card, there is a charity fundraiser for the foundation in the paddock area! Festivities include a silent auction, an Elvis impersonator (thank you, thank you very much), and a chance to get up close and personal and rub elbows with some of Arlington’s famous trainers and jockeys. Tickets for this event are only $25 and it does include some munchies and a couple of beverages. All that for a great cause!