• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Watsdachances Tunes Up for Lake George

Saratoga 2013 logo.

Watsdachances had her final tuneup for next week’s Grade 2, $200,000 Lake George with a half-mile breeze in 50.89 seconds over the Saratoga training turf course on Friday for trainer Chad Brown.

The 3-year-old Irish-bred daughter of Diamond Green is winless in two starts this year after winning two of three starts since joining Brown last year upon her arrival in the United States.

“She’s has been training well lately,” Brown said. “She has never trained bad this year, but the last two weeks she has trained particularly well, as well as I’ve ever seen her train. I was expecting her to train well today, and it was really just the final bit of confidence [for me] to enter.”

The 1 1/16-mile Lake George for fillies will be run on Wednesday, July 24.

A 34-year-old native of nearby Mechanicville, N.Y., Brown finished second in last year’s Saratoga trainer standings with 29 wins, seven behind three-time defending champion Todd Pletcher. It was the second straight runner-up finish for Brown, who had 22 wins in 2011.

It has been a steady progression for Brown, who won 17 races at Saratoga in 2010 and captured his first career Grade 1 here in 2011 with Zagora in the Diana. A Spa training title is one achievement the protégé of late Hall of Famer Bobby Frankel would eventually like to add to his resume.

“It’d be something nice someday,” he said. “At the end of the day, we don’t really make it the centerpiece of our business we’re running here at the barn, although it would be very nice if someday it could happen. Not only for me, but more for my clients and my staff; they work so hard. My clients have a lot of trust in me and supply me with a lot of nice horses. I’m lucky.

“We’re just going to take it a day at a time. It’s a long meet, and it’s gotten longer, and it’s gotten harder. We just have to focus every day on preparing the horses as well as you can in the mornings, and putting them in the right races in the afternoon. You also need some racing luck. You need weather to go your way. We have a lot of grass horses. There’s a lot of different moving parts to the machine at Saratoga. We’re just trying to do the best we can to prepare for it.”