• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Waterway Run Prevails in Beaugay

Waterway Run earned her first win in North America under a patient ride by Jose Lezcano in the Grade 3, $150,000 Beaugay on Kentucky Derby Saturday at Belmont Park.

Trained by Chad Brown for Martin Schwartz, Waterway Run suffered two narrow defeats to begin her 2014 campaign, including a nose loss in the Grade 3 Hillsborough at Tampa Bay Downs. On Saturday, she was on the other end of the photo.

Away alertly, the 4-year-old daughter of Arch settled in midpack for Lezcano behind the pacesetting Assateague, who led the field through an opening quarter-mile in 24.21 seconds and a half in 48.15. After three-quarters in 1:12.63, a seam opened for Waterway Run at the top of the stretch and she adroitly bounded through it and charged her way to the finish to prevail by a neck.

"I thought Jose did a good job," said Brown. "It looked like she was in tight quarters for most of the race and he just bided his time. When she got in the clear she showed the kick that she has; we were very pleased with the performance and the ride. The distance was key for her. A mile or a mile and a sixteenth is her game."

Lezcano was quick to point out that his filly's versatility enabled him to give her an ideal trip.

"I had a very good trip," said the rider. "She broke good, and I got the position I wanted. She's the kind of filly who will do whatever you ask her. She held her position nicely all the way and when I said, 'Go' she went and won the race. Very impressive."

Waterway Run covered the 1 1/16 miles, run over "good" ground, in 1:42.75 and returned $6.60 to win as the slight favorite. Her career bankroll now stands at $182,789.

Runner-up Orion Moon endured a bit of an unlucky trip under jockey Junior Alvarado. The 5-year-old mare trained by Christophe Clement appeared full of run entering the stretch, but was caught in tight and had to wait, then duck toward the rail to find room to run.

"I had a perfect trip," said Alvarado. "If I could have changed anything, if I had found my spot to turn for home and run a sixteenth earlier than when I did, it might have made a difference. Nevertheless, she gave me a great effort."

It was another 1 ¼ lengths back to Byrama in third. Scampering, English Class, Assateague and Irish Mission completed the order of finish. Watsdachances, Natalie Victoria (MTO) and Sunny Desert (MTO) were scratched.