• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 4 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 4 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Waterway Run Prevails in Beaugay

Waterway Run earned her first win in North America under a patient ride by Jose Lezcano in the Grade 3, $150,000 Beaugay on Kentucky Derby Saturday at Belmont Park.

Trained by Chad Brown for Martin Schwartz, Waterway Run suffered two narrow defeats to begin her 2014 campaign, including a nose loss in the Grade 3 Hillsborough at Tampa Bay Downs. On Saturday, she was on the other end of the photo.

Away alertly, the 4-year-old daughter of Arch settled in midpack for Lezcano behind the pacesetting Assateague, who led the field through an opening quarter-mile in 24.21 seconds and a half in 48.15. After three-quarters in 1:12.63, a seam opened for Waterway Run at the top of the stretch and she adroitly bounded through it and charged her way to the finish to prevail by a neck.

"I thought Jose did a good job," said Brown. "It looked like she was in tight quarters for most of the race and he just bided his time. When she got in the clear she showed the kick that she has; we were very pleased with the performance and the ride. The distance was key for her. A mile or a mile and a sixteenth is her game."

Lezcano was quick to point out that his filly's versatility enabled him to give her an ideal trip.

"I had a very good trip," said the rider. "She broke good, and I got the position I wanted. She's the kind of filly who will do whatever you ask her. She held her position nicely all the way and when I said, 'Go' she went and won the race. Very impressive."

Waterway Run covered the 1 1/16 miles, run over "good" ground, in 1:42.75 and returned $6.60 to win as the slight favorite. Her career bankroll now stands at $182,789.

Runner-up Orion Moon endured a bit of an unlucky trip under jockey Junior Alvarado. The 5-year-old mare trained by Christophe Clement appeared full of run entering the stretch, but was caught in tight and had to wait, then duck toward the rail to find room to run.

"I had a perfect trip," said Alvarado. "If I could have changed anything, if I had found my spot to turn for home and run a sixteenth earlier than when I did, it might have made a difference. Nevertheless, she gave me a great effort."

It was another 1 ¼ lengths back to Byrama in third. Scampering, English Class, Assateague and Irish Mission completed the order of finish. Watsdachances, Natalie Victoria (MTO) and Sunny Desert (MTO) were scratched.