• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 15 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Voting for the NTRA Top Thoroughbreds

About a week ago my Horse Racing Nation Managing Editor, Brian Zipse, sent me an e-mail that said that I would become a voter in the NTRA Top Thoroughbred polls.

Of course I had seen the polls quite often on the NTRA website, in the Daily Racing Form, and in mainstream newspapers. The NTRA polls are racing’s equivalent to the Top 25 polls for college sports.  There is the Top 10 Thoroughbred Poll, which includes horses from all racing divisions, and the Top Three Year-old poll.  The Top 10 Thoroughbred Poll is essentially a horse of the year poll.

My first thought was how many people actually vote in these polls and who are they?  A few clicks later on my laptop and I was at NTRA.com/polls looking at a list of 50 people, a veritable Who’s Who of racing. These are people who I have seen on television and even in the movies and they are writers whose work I have been reading my whole life.  I couldn’t help but hear Wayne and Garth whispering in my ear, “You’re not worthy, you’re not worthy.” On the other hand in the past year I have been able to meet several of them at the track and interact with many of them on a regular basis on Twitter.

What an honor to be part of a group that includes Steven Crist, the chairman and publisher of the Daily Racing Form and the author of two books that I have read more than once.  Exotic Betting is about handicapping and his memoir Betting on Myself: Adventures of a Horseplayer and Publisher. There too was Steve Haskin, whose insightful writing has been filling the pages of the Blood-Horse for so many years.

Television personalities that are voters include Donna Barton Brothers, Bob Neumeier, Jeannine Edwards, and on air talent from TVG and HRTV.  Hall of Fame jockey and excellent actor Gary Stevens of Luck and Seabiscuit is on the list. Radio personalities Steve Byk and Bill Finley are voters and I listen to their shows all the time.  And now I was going to be part of that group, Wayne and Garth really need to be quiet.

Veteran racing writers Mike Watchmaker, Marty McGee, Marcus Hersh, Brad Free, and Jennie Rees were on the list.  Ed DeRosa, director of marketing for BrisNet, who we all know as the king of Twitter discussions with his 50,000 tweets, is a voter.

Now add Matt Shifman, aka AndyScoggin, to the list of NTRA Top 10 voters.  How much fun will it be to compile my list of horses for these polls? I hope I succeeded in sharing how excited and privileged I feel to be representing Horse Racing Nation on NTRA. Be sure to go to NTRA.com/polls where you cannot only view the Top 10’s, but you can see detailed analyses of each poll with voting for every horse and the ballots of every voter.

Older Comments about Voting for the NTRA Top Thoroughbreds...

This is a great honor! Way to go!!!
Thanks everyone for the kind words and thank you HorseRacingNation.
Nice job on the honor, Matt
Hard work,does pay off!! Congrats !!
Congrats!
This is great! Congrats Matt!!!
Wow! Congrats Matt!
Those other guys have nothing on you, my friend!
Congratulations Mr. Shifman