• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 2 hours ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 1 day ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 1 day ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 1 day ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 1 day ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 2 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Velazquez Back in the Saddle Again

John Velazquez
Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez, who will ride undefeated Verrazano in Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, returned to competition Thursday afternoon at Belmont Park, finishing seventh on his first mount since April 7.

Velazquez, who suffered injuries to his right wrist and ribs one day after piloting Verrazano to a three-quarter-length triumph in the Grade 1 Wood Memorial, said he was looking forward to riding the Todd Pletcher trainee in the 1 ¼ mile Derby.

“I feel very, very good,” said the 41-year-old rider, who won the 2011 Derby aboard Animal Kingdom. “I wish my horse had run better today, but I had no problem getting back into the swing of things. I don’t think the time off will affect me at all.”

Velazquez, who began galloping horses on Tuesday morning, had been scheduled to return to action Wednesday afternoon at Belmont, but his horse was scratched. The jockey said he was to fly Thursday night to Louisville, where on Friday he will ride favored Dreaming of Julia in the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks and Authenticity in the Grade 3 La Troienne. On Saturday, Velazquez has four mounts, including Verrazano.

“He’s a horse who’s done everything right,” said Velazquez of Verrazano, second choice on the Derby morning line behind Orb, adding: “He worked very well at Churchill Downs last week. I’m not surprised they made Orb the favorite; he’s a very, very good horse. There are 19 other horses in the race, but obviously, he is one I fear.”