• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Velazquez Back in the Saddle Again

John Velazquez
Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez, who will ride undefeated Verrazano in Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, returned to competition Thursday afternoon at Belmont Park, finishing seventh on his first mount since April 7.

Velazquez, who suffered injuries to his right wrist and ribs one day after piloting Verrazano to a three-quarter-length triumph in the Grade 1 Wood Memorial, said he was looking forward to riding the Todd Pletcher trainee in the 1 ¼ mile Derby.

“I feel very, very good,” said the 41-year-old rider, who won the 2011 Derby aboard Animal Kingdom. “I wish my horse had run better today, but I had no problem getting back into the swing of things. I don’t think the time off will affect me at all.”

Velazquez, who began galloping horses on Tuesday morning, had been scheduled to return to action Wednesday afternoon at Belmont, but his horse was scratched. The jockey said he was to fly Thursday night to Louisville, where on Friday he will ride favored Dreaming of Julia in the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks and Authenticity in the Grade 3 La Troienne. On Saturday, Velazquez has four mounts, including Verrazano.

“He’s a horse who’s done everything right,” said Velazquez of Verrazano, second choice on the Derby morning line behind Orb, adding: “He worked very well at Churchill Downs last week. I’m not surprised they made Orb the favorite; he’s a very, very good horse. There are 19 other horses in the race, but obviously, he is one I fear.”