• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Unzip Me Takes On the Boys

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Trainer Marty Jones hopes Sunday to duplicate a feat accomplished only by his father: winning the Robert Kerlan Memorial Handicap with a female.

The younger Jones will send out Unzip Me, a 4-year-old filly, against six males in the $60,000-added race at six furlongs on turf.

Gary Jones, Marty’s retired father, saddled the 4-year-old filly Cool Air to victory in the 1994 edition, the only time a distaffer has won the race.

“I worked for my dad at that time and was with that filly,” said Jones Thursday. “I went to the Laurel Dash with her when she finished second to Soviet Problem. The girls ran one-two against the boys that day.”

Unzip Me, a front-runner riding a five-race winning streak, will make her first start against males. She will be ridden by Joe Talamo and carry 116 pounds, seven less than highly regarded Australian import Scenic Blast.

“I really don’t want to take the boys on, but it’s the only race I can run in unless I want to run her long, which I don’t,” explained Jones candidly.

Unzip Me breezed three furlongs on the main track in 38.60 seconds.