• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 1 day ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 1 day ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 6 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 8 days ago

Unzip Me Takes On the Boys

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Trainer Marty Jones hopes Sunday to duplicate a feat accomplished only by his father: winning the Robert Kerlan Memorial Handicap with a female.

The younger Jones will send out Unzip Me, a 4-year-old filly, against six males in the $60,000-added race at six furlongs on turf.

Gary Jones, Marty’s retired father, saddled the 4-year-old filly Cool Air to victory in the 1994 edition, the only time a distaffer has won the race.

“I worked for my dad at that time and was with that filly,” said Jones Thursday. “I went to the Laurel Dash with her when she finished second to Soviet Problem. The girls ran one-two against the boys that day.”

Unzip Me, a front-runner riding a five-race winning streak, will make her first start against males. She will be ridden by Joe Talamo and carry 116 pounds, seven less than highly regarded Australian import Scenic Blast.

“I really don’t want to take the boys on, but it’s the only race I can run in unless I want to run her long, which I don’t,” explained Jones candidly.

Unzip Me breezed three furlongs on the main track in 38.60 seconds.