• Ectot (9-1) upsets Flintshire to run away with the Grade 1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Holy Lute (10-1) pulls off the surprise in the second division of the Eddie D.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Ambitious Brew (5-1) rolls to victory in the first division of the Eddie D.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 6 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 7 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 10 days ago

Unzip Me Takes On the Boys

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Trainer Marty Jones hopes Sunday to duplicate a feat accomplished only by his father: winning the Robert Kerlan Memorial Handicap with a female.

The younger Jones will send out Unzip Me, a 4-year-old filly, against six males in the $60,000-added race at six furlongs on turf.

Gary Jones, Marty’s retired father, saddled the 4-year-old filly Cool Air to victory in the 1994 edition, the only time a distaffer has won the race.

“I worked for my dad at that time and was with that filly,” said Jones Thursday. “I went to the Laurel Dash with her when she finished second to Soviet Problem. The girls ran one-two against the boys that day.”

Unzip Me, a front-runner riding a five-race winning streak, will make her first start against males. She will be ridden by Joe Talamo and carry 116 pounds, seven less than highly regarded Australian import Scenic Blast.

“I really don’t want to take the boys on, but it’s the only race I can run in unless I want to run her long, which I don’t,” explained Jones candidly.

Unzip Me breezed three furlongs on the main track in 38.60 seconds.