• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 11 days ago

Unzip Me Takes On the Boys

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park

Trainer Marty Jones hopes Sunday to duplicate a feat accomplished only by his father: winning the Robert Kerlan Memorial Handicap with a female.

The younger Jones will send out Unzip Me, a 4-year-old filly, against six males in the $60,000-added race at six furlongs on turf.

Gary Jones, Marty’s retired father, saddled the 4-year-old filly Cool Air to victory in the 1994 edition, the only time a distaffer has won the race.

“I worked for my dad at that time and was with that filly,” said Jones Thursday. “I went to the Laurel Dash with her when she finished second to Soviet Problem. The girls ran one-two against the boys that day.”

Unzip Me, a front-runner riding a five-race winning streak, will make her first start against males. She will be ridden by Joe Talamo and carry 116 pounds, seven less than highly regarded Australian import Scenic Blast.

“I really don’t want to take the boys on, but it’s the only race I can run in unless I want to run her long, which I don’t,” explained Jones candidly.

Unzip Me breezed three furlongs on the main track in 38.60 seconds.