Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 2 days ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 4 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 4 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 4 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 4 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 5 days ago
  • Pick of the Litter edges Departing in the final strides of the Fayette! Posted 5 days ago
  • Salutos Amigos is best in the Bold Ruler! Posted 5 days ago
  • Adelaide wins a thrilling edition of the Cox Plate! Posted 5 days ago
  • 201 Pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup, including 15 in the Classic. Posted 8 days ago

Unlucky 13 for Resistivity in Ashland

Trainer Mark Casse was all fired up about the prospect of running Mike Rutherford’s homebred Resistivity in Saturday’s $500,000 Central Bank Ashland (G1) until post positions were drawn Wednesday and Resistivity drew No. 13.

“I had a flashback to the Breeders’ Cup (Juvenile Fillies Turf) last year when My Conquestadory got the 14,” Casse said. “I had a lot of confidence coming into the race, but the post position definitely tempers the enthusiasm.

“I talked with Mr. Rutherford last night about scratching and waiting for the Appalachian (G3) next week. But right now, we are going to run.”

Resistivity enters the Central Bank Ashland off a daylight grass victory at Gulfstream Park. On Saturday, she worked five furlongs here in 1:00.60.

“She trains well on synthetic and last year at Ocala she was right with My Conquestadory,” Casse said. “I think the dirt is her least preferred surface of the three, but she does not mind Churchill Downs.”

As for My Conquestadory, the overpowering winner of last fall’s Darley Alcibiades (G1), Casse said she is in Ocala.

“She got hurt this winter at Palm Meadows but it was nothing severe and she is starting to breeze,” Casse said of the filly, who has not run since her fourth-place Breeders’ Cup finish. “We know how good she is and the owners are letting me take my time with her.”

Casse also is eyeing the Toyota Blue Grass (G1) with John Oxley’s Coastline.

A maiden winner here last fall, Coastline finished third in the Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati Spiral (G3) in his most recent start.

“I wish he would have been 12 inches faster,” Casse said of the narrow Spiral defeat. “I was disappointed in his two races at Oaklawn. The plan right now is the Blue Grass and he will work tomorrow and we’ll see.”