• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Tyler Baze Strikes With $112 Bomber

Jockey Tyler Baze, America’s Eclipse Award winning apprentice rider in the year 2000, returned to action for the first time in over a year on Friday at Santa Anita and won with his second mount, longshot Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who paid $112.60 to win in race six.

Suspended indefinitely by Del Mar’s Board of Stewards in August 2011 for refusing to submit to a random Breathalyzer test, Baze, who turns 30 on Oct. 19, was recently reinstated by Los Alamitos stewards.

“I was born to do this.  This is all I know how to do,” said Baze in the winner’s circle.  “Just the feeling of having horse under me and being able to get back to my dream is…I’m taking it day by day.  I’m pretty fit, I’ve been working on a ranch owned by (horse owner) Mike Conboy out in Banning and I’ve been working with babies, which is what I love to do.”

Speaking of babies, Warren’s Sugarbuzz is a 2-year-old California-bred filly who  is owned by her breeder, Benjamin Warren.

“We’re happy to have Tyler back,” said Warren.  “He’s always won for us.  We rode Tyler a lot and he won a lot.  I’d say he’s won at least 20 races for us.”

Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who was 20-1 on the morning line, came off a Cal-Bred maiden $32,000 win on Sept. 13 at Fairplex Park and was thus facing winners for the first time on Friday.  She bested a field of nine, winning by three-quarters of a length and  paid $35.40 to place and $16.80 to show.

The second cousin of North America’s all time leading winning jockey Russell Baze and the nephew of longtime reinsman Gary Baze, Tyler Baze counts among his top achievements leading rider titles at Hollywood Park (2004) and Santa Anita (fall 2007).

Reunited with his most recent agent, Craig O’Bryan, Baze is named to ride four horses on Saturday, two on Sunday and six on Columbus Day, Monday.