• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 3 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Tyler Baze Strikes With $112 Bomber

Jockey Tyler Baze, America’s Eclipse Award winning apprentice rider in the year 2000, returned to action for the first time in over a year on Friday at Santa Anita and won with his second mount, longshot Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who paid $112.60 to win in race six.

Suspended indefinitely by Del Mar’s Board of Stewards in August 2011 for refusing to submit to a random Breathalyzer test, Baze, who turns 30 on Oct. 19, was recently reinstated by Los Alamitos stewards.

“I was born to do this.  This is all I know how to do,” said Baze in the winner’s circle.  “Just the feeling of having horse under me and being able to get back to my dream is…I’m taking it day by day.  I’m pretty fit, I’ve been working on a ranch owned by (horse owner) Mike Conboy out in Banning and I’ve been working with babies, which is what I love to do.”

Speaking of babies, Warren’s Sugarbuzz is a 2-year-old California-bred filly who  is owned by her breeder, Benjamin Warren.

“We’re happy to have Tyler back,” said Warren.  “He’s always won for us.  We rode Tyler a lot and he won a lot.  I’d say he’s won at least 20 races for us.”

Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who was 20-1 on the morning line, came off a Cal-Bred maiden $32,000 win on Sept. 13 at Fairplex Park and was thus facing winners for the first time on Friday.  She bested a field of nine, winning by three-quarters of a length and  paid $35.40 to place and $16.80 to show.

The second cousin of North America’s all time leading winning jockey Russell Baze and the nephew of longtime reinsman Gary Baze, Tyler Baze counts among his top achievements leading rider titles at Hollywood Park (2004) and Santa Anita (fall 2007).

Reunited with his most recent agent, Craig O’Bryan, Baze is named to ride four horses on Saturday, two on Sunday and six on Columbus Day, Monday.