• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Tyler Baze Strikes With $112 Bomber

Jockey Tyler Baze, America’s Eclipse Award winning apprentice rider in the year 2000, returned to action for the first time in over a year on Friday at Santa Anita and won with his second mount, longshot Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who paid $112.60 to win in race six.

Suspended indefinitely by Del Mar’s Board of Stewards in August 2011 for refusing to submit to a random Breathalyzer test, Baze, who turns 30 on Oct. 19, was recently reinstated by Los Alamitos stewards.

“I was born to do this.  This is all I know how to do,” said Baze in the winner’s circle.  “Just the feeling of having horse under me and being able to get back to my dream is…I’m taking it day by day.  I’m pretty fit, I’ve been working on a ranch owned by (horse owner) Mike Conboy out in Banning and I’ve been working with babies, which is what I love to do.”

Speaking of babies, Warren’s Sugarbuzz is a 2-year-old California-bred filly who  is owned by her breeder, Benjamin Warren.

“We’re happy to have Tyler back,” said Warren.  “He’s always won for us.  We rode Tyler a lot and he won a lot.  I’d say he’s won at least 20 races for us.”

Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who was 20-1 on the morning line, came off a Cal-Bred maiden $32,000 win on Sept. 13 at Fairplex Park and was thus facing winners for the first time on Friday.  She bested a field of nine, winning by three-quarters of a length and  paid $35.40 to place and $16.80 to show.

The second cousin of North America’s all time leading winning jockey Russell Baze and the nephew of longtime reinsman Gary Baze, Tyler Baze counts among his top achievements leading rider titles at Hollywood Park (2004) and Santa Anita (fall 2007).

Reunited with his most recent agent, Craig O’Bryan, Baze is named to ride four horses on Saturday, two on Sunday and six on Columbus Day, Monday.