Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • Untapable and a retiring Rosie Napravnik earn the top prize in the BC Distaff! Posted 9 hours ago
  • Lady Eli rides the rails to victory in the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf! Posted 9 hours ago
  • Goldencents wins his second Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile! Posted 9 hours ago
  • Hootenanny keys a 1-2 BC Juvenile Turf for Wesley Ward! Posted 9 hours ago
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 3 days ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 5 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 5 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 5 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 6 days ago

Tyler Baze Strikes With $112 Bomber

Jockey Tyler Baze, America’s Eclipse Award winning apprentice rider in the year 2000, returned to action for the first time in over a year on Friday at Santa Anita and won with his second mount, longshot Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who paid $112.60 to win in race six.

Suspended indefinitely by Del Mar’s Board of Stewards in August 2011 for refusing to submit to a random Breathalyzer test, Baze, who turns 30 on Oct. 19, was recently reinstated by Los Alamitos stewards.

“I was born to do this.  This is all I know how to do,” said Baze in the winner’s circle.  “Just the feeling of having horse under me and being able to get back to my dream is…I’m taking it day by day.  I’m pretty fit, I’ve been working on a ranch owned by (horse owner) Mike Conboy out in Banning and I’ve been working with babies, which is what I love to do.”

Speaking of babies, Warren’s Sugarbuzz is a 2-year-old California-bred filly who  is owned by her breeder, Benjamin Warren.

“We’re happy to have Tyler back,” said Warren.  “He’s always won for us.  We rode Tyler a lot and he won a lot.  I’d say he’s won at least 20 races for us.”

Warren’s Sugarbuzz, who was 20-1 on the morning line, came off a Cal-Bred maiden $32,000 win on Sept. 13 at Fairplex Park and was thus facing winners for the first time on Friday.  She bested a field of nine, winning by three-quarters of a length and  paid $35.40 to place and $16.80 to show.

The second cousin of North America’s all time leading winning jockey Russell Baze and the nephew of longtime reinsman Gary Baze, Tyler Baze counts among his top achievements leading rider titles at Hollywood Park (2004) and Santa Anita (fall 2007).

Reunited with his most recent agent, Craig O’Bryan, Baze is named to ride four horses on Saturday, two on Sunday and six on Columbus Day, Monday.