• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 4 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 4 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Turf Writer Wilson on the Mend

Art Wilson, veteran columnist and Assistant Sports Editor with the San Gabriel Valley News Group (Pasadena Star-News, San Gabriel Valley Tribune and Whittier Daily News) reports that he’s on the mend after battling a form of leukemia for almost one year.

“My doctors have told me I’m cancer-free,” said Wilson, who fell ill covering last year’s Breeders’ Cup World Championships at Churchill Downs. “My kidney function was greatly reduced as a result of the cancer and that’s what got me in trouble. I’ve been undergoing a lot of chemotherapy and dialysis and it’s been very tough but I’m now hoping to be back covering the races at Santa Anita by January 1.

“I really want to thank my family and all of my friends at the racetrack; they’ve been very supportive and it’s helped me get through this. I started coming to the races with my dad when I was a little kid and I can’t wait to get back.”

Wilson also noted that due to the fact his health has now “stabilized,” he would soon be undergoing a bone marrow transplant at UCLA, which he’s hoping will set him on the road to permanent recovery.

Older Comments about Turf Writer Wilson on the Mend...

Art Wilson was a visitor in the Santa Anita press box on Big ’Cap Day. “This is the first time I’ve been to the press box since the fall meet here in 2011,” said Wilson, 60, who has been battling a form of blood cancer for a year and a half. “I covered the Breeders’ Cup at Churchill Downs that fall and that’s when I really knew there was something wrong. It’s been a long process, but my goal now is to be back to cover the Breeders’ Cup here at Santa Anita in November. “I can’t wait to get back to work and get back to covering racing on a regular basis. I love the game and the people in it. I want to thank everyone at all the tracks for being so thoughtful. When you get sick, you can’t believe how much it means to hear from people.”
Santa Anita Publicity Director Mike Willman spoke Wednesday with San Gabriel Valley Tribune and Pasadena Star News turf writer Art Wilson, recuperating from a lengthy bout with cancer. “He sounds great,” Willman said. “He is rehabbing well from a broken hip and is now awaiting word on a bone marrow transplant, which will take place at UCLA. His long-range goal is to cover the Autumn meet here and the Breeders' Cup. He's hoping to be able to cover the Pacific Classic at Del Mar.”