• Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 3 hours ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Frosted is pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic, per his connections.Posted 3 days ago
  • Erupt (IRE) at 12-1 closes to win the $1,000,000 Pattison Canadian International (G1)Posted 6 days ago
  • Al's Gal (6-1) wins the head bob and the E. P. Taylor (G1) at WoodbinePosted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Tuesday Bullet for Wise Dan

Wise Dan repeats in the Breeders Cup Mile.
Photo: Don August

Reigning two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan, who opened his 2014 campaign with a win in the Maker’s 46 Mile (G1) here on April 11, worked a half-mile in a bullet :47.60 Tuesday morning.

Clockers caught Wise Dan, ridden by Damien Rock, in fractions of :11.80, :23.80, :47.60 with a gallop-out of 1:00.80 and 1:14.20.

“I just wanted to get a decent work in him,” trainer Charlie LoPresti said. “I was a little bit worried that I was short the last time I ran him (in the Maker’s 46 Mile) because of the winter (which affected Wise Dan’s training schedule). Now it’s exactly what I wanted. I just wanted a good workout for him just to keep him kicking over.”

Wise Dan, a homebred racing for Mort Fink, won the Maker’s 46 Mile by three-quarters of a length over Kaigun for his Keeneland record sixth graded stakes score, ninth Grade 1 win overall and 16th graded stakes victory. The gelding has 20 wins in 28 starts and earnings of $6,473,610.

LoPresti said Wise Dan came out of the Maker’s 46 Mile “very good. We’re real happy with him. I think we’re right where we were last year with him.”

Like last year, the plan is for Wise Dan to make his next start in the $500,000-added Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (G1) at Churchill Downs on May 3. He won the race last year.

In preparation for that race, LoPresti expects Wise Dan to turn in another move next week.

“Last year I just went a quarter of a mile, out in three-eighths, something like that,” he said. “I’ll probably do something with him like I did last year.”