• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Tuesday Bullet for Wise Dan

Wise Dan repeats in the Breeders Cup Mile.
Photo: Don August

Reigning two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan, who opened his 2014 campaign with a win in the Maker’s 46 Mile (G1) here on April 11, worked a half-mile in a bullet :47.60 Tuesday morning.

Clockers caught Wise Dan, ridden by Damien Rock, in fractions of :11.80, :23.80, :47.60 with a gallop-out of 1:00.80 and 1:14.20.

“I just wanted to get a decent work in him,” trainer Charlie LoPresti said. “I was a little bit worried that I was short the last time I ran him (in the Maker’s 46 Mile) because of the winter (which affected Wise Dan’s training schedule). Now it’s exactly what I wanted. I just wanted a good workout for him just to keep him kicking over.”

Wise Dan, a homebred racing for Mort Fink, won the Maker’s 46 Mile by three-quarters of a length over Kaigun for his Keeneland record sixth graded stakes score, ninth Grade 1 win overall and 16th graded stakes victory. The gelding has 20 wins in 28 starts and earnings of $6,473,610.

LoPresti said Wise Dan came out of the Maker’s 46 Mile “very good. We’re real happy with him. I think we’re right where we were last year with him.”

Like last year, the plan is for Wise Dan to make his next start in the $500,000-added Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (G1) at Churchill Downs on May 3. He won the race last year.

In preparation for that race, LoPresti expects Wise Dan to turn in another move next week.

“Last year I just went a quarter of a mile, out in three-eighths, something like that,” he said. “I’ll probably do something with him like I did last year.”