• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 12 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Trainer Mike Mitchell Elated With Stars' Works

Mike Mitchell was elated with workouts by stable stars Obviously and Camp Victory June 22 and stamped them ready for their respective starts in Saturday’s Grade I, $300,000 Shoemaker Mile and Grade I, $250,000 Triple Bend Handicap.

The Shoemaker, which is on turf, and the Triple Bend – at seven furlongs over Cushion Track – are Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” races.

The winner of the Shoemaker Mile receives fees-paid entry into the Breeders’ Cup Turf Mile while the Triple Bend winner gets the same reward for the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile.

Obviously, who won the Grade II American Handicap May 25, worked five furlongs in 59 1/5 seconds, the second fastest of 39 works at the distance that morning at Santa Anita. The 5-year-old Irish bred has won five of 11 in the United States and is 4-for-5 at the Shoemaker distance on turf.

“He’s doing great,” said Mitchell. “He galloped out super.”

Camp Victory, the defending Triple Bend champion, drilled six furlongs in 1:13 1/5. A year ago, Mitchell, along with his family, watched the Forest Camp gelding’s victory via computer from the intensive care unit of USC Medical Center, one day after the trainer underwent surgery for a brain tumor.

Mitchell had a brief scare last Sunday when he collapsed after winning the sixth race with Gutshot Straight.

“I’m feeling much better,” said Mitchell. “It was a combination of things. I was in the sun too long, it was awfully hot and I had a seizure. Plus, I had a lot of caffeine in me, I was dehydrated and still a little weak from a chemo treatment.”

Mitchell is back training at his stable and looking forward to the Shoemaker Mile and Triple Bend. The 65-year-old is the second winningest trainer in Hollywood Park history. He enters Sunday needing just one win to reach 900 at the Inglewood track. Bobby Frankel is the all-time leader with 952 victories.

“I’m coming out to see Obviously and Camp Victory,’’ he said. “This time I’m going to bring my hat and find some shade.”