• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 6 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 6 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 6 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 7 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 7 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 7 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 7 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 7 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 7 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 7 days ago

Trainer Henry Moreno Celebrates 83rd Birthday

Veteran trainer Henry Moreno celebrated his 83rd birthday with friends and fellow horsemen Tuesday morning at Clockers’ Corner.

“I’ve had a good life,” said Moreno, who could easily pass for someone 10 years younger. “I was raised on a ranch in Corona and we milked 120 cows a day. My dad had a lot of horses and cattle and I guess you could say all that hard work has been good for me.”

Moreno enjoyed a chocolate birthday cake with trainers Mel Stute, Barry Abrams and Don Collins, along with assistant trainer (to Don Warren) Tim Reavey, owners Madeline and Harris Auerbach, exercise rider Chris Aplin and owner Yip Quan.

Moreno, who started out with Quarter Horses, saddled his first winner in 1950 and is best known as the conditioner of two powerful, multiple stakes-winning South American mares, Tizna and Sangue. He also trained the multiple Grade I winning filly Lite Light prior to her being sold to rapper MC Hammer.

Moreno also developed Grade I stakes-winning sprinter Sam Who, but at age 83, he’s looking forward, not back.

“I’ve got (California-bred) Spud Spivens here and I’m getting him ready for the (Oct. 13) the Cal Cup. He’s the best horse I’ve had in quite a while.”

Here’s hoping the affable Moreno has many more birthday candles in his future.