• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 2 days ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 3 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 3 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 3 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 3 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 3 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 3 days ago

Trainer Henry Moreno Celebrates 83rd Birthday

Veteran trainer Henry Moreno celebrated his 83rd birthday with friends and fellow horsemen Tuesday morning at Clockers’ Corner.

“I’ve had a good life,” said Moreno, who could easily pass for someone 10 years younger. “I was raised on a ranch in Corona and we milked 120 cows a day. My dad had a lot of horses and cattle and I guess you could say all that hard work has been good for me.”

Moreno enjoyed a chocolate birthday cake with trainers Mel Stute, Barry Abrams and Don Collins, along with assistant trainer (to Don Warren) Tim Reavey, owners Madeline and Harris Auerbach, exercise rider Chris Aplin and owner Yip Quan.

Moreno, who started out with Quarter Horses, saddled his first winner in 1950 and is best known as the conditioner of two powerful, multiple stakes-winning South American mares, Tizna and Sangue. He also trained the multiple Grade I winning filly Lite Light prior to her being sold to rapper MC Hammer.

Moreno also developed Grade I stakes-winning sprinter Sam Who, but at age 83, he’s looking forward, not back.

“I’ve got (California-bred) Spud Spivens here and I’m getting him ready for the (Oct. 13) the Cal Cup. He’s the best horse I’ve had in quite a while.”

Here’s hoping the affable Moreno has many more birthday candles in his future.