• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Trainer Henry Moreno Celebrates 83rd Birthday

Veteran trainer Henry Moreno celebrated his 83rd birthday with friends and fellow horsemen Tuesday morning at Clockers’ Corner.

“I’ve had a good life,” said Moreno, who could easily pass for someone 10 years younger. “I was raised on a ranch in Corona and we milked 120 cows a day. My dad had a lot of horses and cattle and I guess you could say all that hard work has been good for me.”

Moreno enjoyed a chocolate birthday cake with trainers Mel Stute, Barry Abrams and Don Collins, along with assistant trainer (to Don Warren) Tim Reavey, owners Madeline and Harris Auerbach, exercise rider Chris Aplin and owner Yip Quan.

Moreno, who started out with Quarter Horses, saddled his first winner in 1950 and is best known as the conditioner of two powerful, multiple stakes-winning South American mares, Tizna and Sangue. He also trained the multiple Grade I winning filly Lite Light prior to her being sold to rapper MC Hammer.

Moreno also developed Grade I stakes-winning sprinter Sam Who, but at age 83, he’s looking forward, not back.

“I’ve got (California-bred) Spud Spivens here and I’m getting him ready for the (Oct. 13) the Cal Cup. He’s the best horse I’ve had in quite a while.”

Here’s hoping the affable Moreno has many more birthday candles in his future.