• California Chrome (2-5) makes it look too easy in his Grade 1 Awesome Again score.Posted 16 minutes ago
  • Gormley (11-1) leads all the way in the Grade 1 FrontRunner.Posted 47 minutes ago
  • Forever Unbridled (3-5) easily sweeps past her competitors in the Grade 1 Beldame.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Joking (4-1) was not fooling around to get up and take the Grade 1 Vosburgh.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Tom's Ready (9-2) comes from behind to win the Grade 3 Ack Ack Handicap.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Ectot (9-1) upsets Flintshire to run away with the Grade 1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Holy Lute (10-1) pulls off the surprise in the second division of the Eddie D.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Ambitious Brew (5-1) rolls to victory in the first division of the Eddie D.Posted 1 day ago
  • Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 5 days ago

Trainer Henry Moreno Celebrates 83rd Birthday

Veteran trainer Henry Moreno celebrated his 83rd birthday with friends and fellow horsemen Tuesday morning at Clockers’ Corner.

“I’ve had a good life,” said Moreno, who could easily pass for someone 10 years younger. “I was raised on a ranch in Corona and we milked 120 cows a day. My dad had a lot of horses and cattle and I guess you could say all that hard work has been good for me.”

Moreno enjoyed a chocolate birthday cake with trainers Mel Stute, Barry Abrams and Don Collins, along with assistant trainer (to Don Warren) Tim Reavey, owners Madeline and Harris Auerbach, exercise rider Chris Aplin and owner Yip Quan.

Moreno, who started out with Quarter Horses, saddled his first winner in 1950 and is best known as the conditioner of two powerful, multiple stakes-winning South American mares, Tizna and Sangue. He also trained the multiple Grade I winning filly Lite Light prior to her being sold to rapper MC Hammer.

Moreno also developed Grade I stakes-winning sprinter Sam Who, but at age 83, he’s looking forward, not back.

“I’ve got (California-bred) Spud Spivens here and I’m getting him ready for the (Oct. 13) the Cal Cup. He’s the best horse I’ve had in quite a while.”

Here’s hoping the affable Moreno has many more birthday candles in his future.