• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Trainer Galluscio Posts 1,000th Career Win

Trainer Dominic Galluscio posted career victory No. 1,000 on Sunday when Discreet Force debuted a neck winner in Aqueduct Racetrack’s seventh race.

Discreet Force, a first-time starter who was bet down to 6-1 from a morning-line price of 12-1, was off a step slowly and raced in seventh through the opening quarter-mile of the six-furlong race for New York-bred 3-year-old fillies. Angled outside by jockey Cornelio Velasquez midway on the far turn, Discreet Force ranged into contention at the top of the stretch and out-fought Ah Gaga in the final stages.

Owned by Francis Paolangeli, Discreet Force is by Discreet Cat and completed the distance in 1:14.52.

Galluscio, 54, was born and raised in the Bronx and won his first race on December 17, 1981 with Cher Cheval, also at Aqueduct. He broke through at the stakes level with Lord of the Night, who posted Grade 3 wins at the Big A in the 1989 Aqueduct, Toboggan, and Westchester handicaps.

“[Win #1,000 is] just as exciting as the first one,” said Galluscio. “The last week I was a little slow, I had some seconds and thirds. I thought I had chances, though; they were properly placed and training good. I didn’t realize until I was around 980 and somebody told me, ‘You’re approaching a thousand.’ I didn’t even realize it was that many until somebody told me, so yeah, it is pretty exciting. [My first winner was] right here at Aqueduct on the inner track in 1981.”

Much of Galluscio’s success has come with New York-breds. Galluscio won consecutive editions of the Empire Classic in 2006 and 2007, respectively, with Organizer and Dr. V’s Magic. He also trained Stormy’s Majesty, a New York-bred who stepped into open company to win the 2010 Grade 3 Discovery Handicap, and has won stakes for 2-year-old state-breds with Le Grande Danseur, Hanselina, Trinity Magic, Shane Roars, and Double Mint.

Earlier on the card, Galluscio picked up win No. 999 with Bluegrass Humor in race 1.

Asked if he’ll eventually reach the 2,000-win milestone, Galluscio responded, “I think so, if I stay healthy and good and ease up on the cigars.”