• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Trainer Galluscio Posts 1,000th Career Win

Trainer Dominic Galluscio posted career victory No. 1,000 on Sunday when Discreet Force debuted a neck winner in Aqueduct Racetrack’s seventh race.

Discreet Force, a first-time starter who was bet down to 6-1 from a morning-line price of 12-1, was off a step slowly and raced in seventh through the opening quarter-mile of the six-furlong race for New York-bred 3-year-old fillies. Angled outside by jockey Cornelio Velasquez midway on the far turn, Discreet Force ranged into contention at the top of the stretch and out-fought Ah Gaga in the final stages.

Owned by Francis Paolangeli, Discreet Force is by Discreet Cat and completed the distance in 1:14.52.

Galluscio, 54, was born and raised in the Bronx and won his first race on December 17, 1981 with Cher Cheval, also at Aqueduct. He broke through at the stakes level with Lord of the Night, who posted Grade 3 wins at the Big A in the 1989 Aqueduct, Toboggan, and Westchester handicaps.

“[Win #1,000 is] just as exciting as the first one,” said Galluscio. “The last week I was a little slow, I had some seconds and thirds. I thought I had chances, though; they were properly placed and training good. I didn’t realize until I was around 980 and somebody told me, ‘You’re approaching a thousand.’ I didn’t even realize it was that many until somebody told me, so yeah, it is pretty exciting. [My first winner was] right here at Aqueduct on the inner track in 1981.”

Much of Galluscio’s success has come with New York-breds. Galluscio won consecutive editions of the Empire Classic in 2006 and 2007, respectively, with Organizer and Dr. V’s Magic. He also trained Stormy’s Majesty, a New York-bred who stepped into open company to win the 2010 Grade 3 Discovery Handicap, and has won stakes for 2-year-old state-breds with Le Grande Danseur, Hanselina, Trinity Magic, Shane Roars, and Double Mint.

Earlier on the card, Galluscio picked up win No. 999 with Bluegrass Humor in race 1.

Asked if he’ll eventually reach the 2,000-win milestone, Galluscio responded, “I think so, if I stay healthy and good and ease up on the cigars.”