• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 2 days ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 3 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 3 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 3 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 3 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 3 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 3 days ago

Tiz Miz Sue Gets Her Grade One in Ogden Phipps

Tiz Miz Sue earned her first Grade 1 victory and became a millionaire Monday afternoon at Belmont Park, tracking a brisk pace and getting up just in time to post a half-length victory in the 45th running of the $400,000 Ogden Phipps Handicap.

The winner sat in fourth as favored Joyful Victory led the field of six fillies and mares through a quarter-mile in 22.82 and a half in 45.41. As Joyful Victory ceded the lead to Authenticity at the five-sixteenths pole, Tiz Miz Sue moved into third, then shifted outside. Set down by jockey Joe Rocco, Jr., she fought gamely through the stretch to best Authenticity at the wire, stopping the clock at 1:40.81 for 1 1/16 miles.

“When I saw Rosie have to lean forward [aboard Joyful Victory] on the turn and I was following Mike [Smith, jockey aboard Authenticity], I got pretty confident, but this mare has fooled me a couple of times where I thought I was going to get past them,” Rocco said. “Once she ran by them, then I was confident.”

A 6-year-old daughter of Tiznow, Tiz Miz Sue was beaten a half-length in the Grade 1 Apple Blossom last time out at Oaklawn Park and also had two thirds from five previous Grade 1 attempts.

“It’s wonderful when it works,” said trainer Steve Hobby. “I was loving the fractions and Joe looked like he had an armful of horse all the way sitting back there. He just waited. He knows her very well. She was within range, that was the big thing. Sometimes she gets too far behind and can’t quite make up the distance, but she was within range and they were cooking. She deserved [a Grade 1] so bad and I was really going to be upset if she didn’t get one before she retired.”

The $240,000 winner’s share of the Ogden Phipps purse boosted Tiz Miz Sue’s earnings to $1,129,709 for CresRan Stable as she ran her record to 8-10-4 from 32 starts. Sent off at 4-1, she returned $10.80 for a $2 win bet.

Longshot Centring finished third, followed by Disposablepleasure, Joyful Victory, and Believe You Can.