• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 1 day ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 2 days ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 4 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 5 days ago

This new Gary Stevens kid can ride

I guess when you are a jockey with a name like Gary Stevens you better be good, and it looks like we have another good one. Did you see today’s Grade 2 Santa Maria?  I mean for a new rider, it was simply masterful. This kid was on one of the race’s long shots, a mare named Great Hot, and it was like Stevens was riding the odds-on choice. Breaking from the inside, the pair went right out to the early lead with the three big favorites all content to sit and wait just a little bit off. Furlong after furlong went by and you could just see the young rider expertly saving just the right amount of energy for the stretch run.

Sure enough, the big favorite, Book Review, came running, but Stevens had judged things to perfection, and was able to get his mare to the wire a winner without ever too much worry.

And this one comes on the heels of last week’s ride when he sprang Slim Shadey right out to the lead from post position 11 in the Grade 2 San Marcos. From there horse and rider led the field on a merry chase to the tune of a rather easy one-length tally over 7-2 favorite Interaction. That one was the young Stevens’ first stakes win. I mean it’s like this kid has been doing it all his life. Not bad for a jockey who just started riding on January 6.

I wonder if he is any relation to that great rider from Idaho with the same name. Remember him? Man, he was good. If memory serves me, he took home three Kentucky Derby trophies, and a bunch of wins in the Breeders’ Cup, Preakness and Belmont as well. I’m not sure, but didn’t he win the Santa Anita Derby like 21 times too? Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure he even rode Seabiscuit a few times. Last I heard he was turning fifty -or sixty - soon and is one of those Screen Actors Guild guys these days.

I wonder if the old Gary Stevens is watching this new one. If he is, he has to like what he sees.

Older Comments about This new Gary Stevens kid can ride...

I Love both of them <3 <3 <3
We'll see this new Gary Stevens in the Derby.
Can't wait to see the #KyDerby trail heat up so we can find out if this Kid will earn a mount!
LOL, nice one, Zipse!
flash in the pan?
Nah, just because he shows a little ability doesn't mean he won't be a drop in the bucket. I'm sticking with Charlie Kurtsinger!
He said his knees are feeling good ... hopefully that continues.
I read this Stevens kid has had knee issues. Is he over that?
Hahaha. Happy to see him back riding.
Hahahaha...good one Brian!!:))))