• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 5 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 5 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 5 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

The Longer the Better for My Wandy's Girl

Trainer Michael Hushion
Photo: NYRA/Adam Coglianese

Trainer Michael Hushion has high expectations for Puerto Rican import My Wandy’s Girl, who is set to make her next start in the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian Handicap on the Wood Memorial undercard.

On Thursday, My Wandy’s Girl breezed five furlongs on Belmont’s training track in 1:02.57.

“The hope is she’s a serious filly, and I think she is, so I think it will be nothing but the top races from here,” said Hushion, who trains the 4-year-old for Guillermo Berrios. “I’m not going plan any farther than this race; I don’t know whether she’ll need four weeks or eight weeks after this race. I’ll let the horse do the talking.”

From late January through August, My Wandy’s Girl won eight straight races, including three stakes, in Puerto Rico before she was sent to Hushion’s barn in New York. For Hushion she has won the Pentelis overnight stakes, finished third in the Grade 1 Gazelle, and missed by three-quarters of a length when second in the Grade 2 Barbara Fritchie Handicap in February at Laurel. The versatile runner has won at distances ranging from five furlongs to 1 1/8 miles, and Hushion thinks the stretch out from seven furlongs in the Fritchie to one mile in the Gazelle won’t be problematic.

“She kind of stayed on steady in the race at Laurel, and the gallop outs are very good parts of her works,” said Hushion. “More importantly, the more distance, the better. I hope everybody can see what she is: a real nice filly.”