• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

The Longer the Better for My Wandy's Girl

Trainer Michael Hushion
Photo: NYRA/Adam Coglianese

Trainer Michael Hushion has high expectations for Puerto Rican import My Wandy’s Girl, who is set to make her next start in the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian Handicap on the Wood Memorial undercard.

On Thursday, My Wandy’s Girl breezed five furlongs on Belmont’s training track in 1:02.57.

“The hope is she’s a serious filly, and I think she is, so I think it will be nothing but the top races from here,” said Hushion, who trains the 4-year-old for Guillermo Berrios. “I’m not going plan any farther than this race; I don’t know whether she’ll need four weeks or eight weeks after this race. I’ll let the horse do the talking.”

From late January through August, My Wandy’s Girl won eight straight races, including three stakes, in Puerto Rico before she was sent to Hushion’s barn in New York. For Hushion she has won the Pentelis overnight stakes, finished third in the Grade 1 Gazelle, and missed by three-quarters of a length when second in the Grade 2 Barbara Fritchie Handicap in February at Laurel. The versatile runner has won at distances ranging from five furlongs to 1 1/8 miles, and Hushion thinks the stretch out from seven furlongs in the Fritchie to one mile in the Gazelle won’t be problematic.

“She kind of stayed on steady in the race at Laurel, and the gallop outs are very good parts of her works,” said Hushion. “More importantly, the more distance, the better. I hope everybody can see what she is: a real nice filly.”