• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 1 day ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 2 days ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 4 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 5 days ago

The Longer the Better for My Wandy's Girl

Trainer Michael Hushion
Photo: NYRA/Adam Coglianese

Trainer Michael Hushion has high expectations for Puerto Rican import My Wandy’s Girl, who is set to make her next start in the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian Handicap on the Wood Memorial undercard.

On Thursday, My Wandy’s Girl breezed five furlongs on Belmont’s training track in 1:02.57.

“The hope is she’s a serious filly, and I think she is, so I think it will be nothing but the top races from here,” said Hushion, who trains the 4-year-old for Guillermo Berrios. “I’m not going plan any farther than this race; I don’t know whether she’ll need four weeks or eight weeks after this race. I’ll let the horse do the talking.”

From late January through August, My Wandy’s Girl won eight straight races, including three stakes, in Puerto Rico before she was sent to Hushion’s barn in New York. For Hushion she has won the Pentelis overnight stakes, finished third in the Grade 1 Gazelle, and missed by three-quarters of a length when second in the Grade 2 Barbara Fritchie Handicap in February at Laurel. The versatile runner has won at distances ranging from five furlongs to 1 1/8 miles, and Hushion thinks the stretch out from seven furlongs in the Fritchie to one mile in the Gazelle won’t be problematic.

“She kind of stayed on steady in the race at Laurel, and the gallop outs are very good parts of her works,” said Hushion. “More importantly, the more distance, the better. I hope everybody can see what she is: a real nice filly.”