• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 4 hours ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 1 day ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 1 day ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 1 day ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 1 day ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 2 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

The Longer the Better for My Wandy's Girl

Trainer Michael Hushion
Photo: NYRA/Adam Coglianese

Trainer Michael Hushion has high expectations for Puerto Rican import My Wandy’s Girl, who is set to make her next start in the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian Handicap on the Wood Memorial undercard.

On Thursday, My Wandy’s Girl breezed five furlongs on Belmont’s training track in 1:02.57.

“The hope is she’s a serious filly, and I think she is, so I think it will be nothing but the top races from here,” said Hushion, who trains the 4-year-old for Guillermo Berrios. “I’m not going plan any farther than this race; I don’t know whether she’ll need four weeks or eight weeks after this race. I’ll let the horse do the talking.”

From late January through August, My Wandy’s Girl won eight straight races, including three stakes, in Puerto Rico before she was sent to Hushion’s barn in New York. For Hushion she has won the Pentelis overnight stakes, finished third in the Grade 1 Gazelle, and missed by three-quarters of a length when second in the Grade 2 Barbara Fritchie Handicap in February at Laurel. The versatile runner has won at distances ranging from five furlongs to 1 1/8 miles, and Hushion thinks the stretch out from seven furlongs in the Fritchie to one mile in the Gazelle won’t be problematic.

“She kind of stayed on steady in the race at Laurel, and the gallop outs are very good parts of her works,” said Hushion. “More importantly, the more distance, the better. I hope everybody can see what she is: a real nice filly.”