• Cupid (2-5) holds off Curlin Rules in the Harry F. Brubaker.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 2 days ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 4 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

The 2013 Breeders' Cup - Captured in Photos

Gary Stevens 615 X 400 MMM
Photo: Don August

The 2013 edition of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships has come and gone. I must admit the excitement wasn’t quite the same as last year.

The 2012 event was my first ever at seeing racing at that level up close. I didn’t know what to expect, how it was going to play ? just what my role would be with the Horse Racing Nation team . The plan was to shoot each race, hurry to the photo room, send the picture to our writers to use with their stories. Well, some unforeseen computer glitches got in the way and well, all I could do was put together an end-of-the-event photo montage.

This year, I was ready.

No nerves, no uncertainty, no oh-my-god-its-him moments. Just snap, view and send.

Within 15 minutes of the finish of each race, I sent a pretty good picture of the winner to our crack staff who was ready with the copy. Horse Racing Nation fans got results way before many other publications got the results to their readers.

While many of my photos ran on the site with the stories, I did save a few  for my…drum roll please….photo experience. Sit back and enjoy (at least I hope you do) ... Breeders’ Cup 2013 through my lens.

Older Comments about The 2013 Breeders' Cup - Captured in Photos...

Enjoyed seeing a compilation of your photos. It was a real pleasure meeting you and look forward to doing it again next year!
This is GREAT!
Great subject matter makes good photos easier
Outstanding!!!
Great! ...and props to poster techiscum, this site is running smoothly now.
So well put together. Well done.
Wonderful in every way!
Of course all the photos of Mucho Macho Man and Gary Stevens are my absolute favorites, but I particularly liked the photo of Wise Dan and Za Approval running in tandem and the photo where someone (not sure who) was getting a tackle hug and looked like they were about to fall over backwards. THAT is excitement and happiness right there.
Awesome photo's Don. Thanks for the great coverage out there this year.
Well done, Don!
Don, this is great, but I thought you'd use Zipse's favorite song, "How You Like Me Now?" I love that pic of Gary Stevens. It was a helluva good time.
Captured a lot of wonderful BC moments there Don...well done!
Don, this is great. If you don't nominate this for the multimedia Eclipse Award, than I will.
Super photos and the music---great show.
Beautiful!