• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 5 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 6 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 6 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Tamarind Hall Seeks More Graded Glory

Trainer Jeremiah Englehart will be saddling his first Grade 1 starter on Saturday at Saratoga when he sends out Tamarind Hall in the Ballerina. The filly, a former claimer, has already given him his first graded stakes victory in the Grade 3 Bed o’ Roses Handicap at Belmont Park in July and the young trainer, son of longtime Finger Lakes conditioner Chris Englehart, is excited at the prospect of testing her against top female sprinters.

“They told me that this is the same stall that the Test winner [Turbulent Descent] was in,” Englehart said Friday as he watched his star filly root around in the straw in her berth at trainer John Kimmel’s barn. “I even looked at [stats] on the two post and that’s the post you want in a seven-eighths race. I’m looking for any kind of karma I can get!”

If his father’s record on the NYRA circuit this year is any indication, karma could be on Englehart’s side. Chris Englehart, who recently passed the 3,000 win milestone, strung together seven consecutive victories at Aqueduct this past winter and has a record of 3-2-3 from 16 starters at the Saratoga meet through Wednesday.

“He’s got a great assistant down here and a great group of clients that are looking for the right type of horses for here,” Englehart said of his father. “Once he got settled in here, he’s always good at finding a level and staying. He’s been really happy the way things have turned out for [Tamarind Hall], and he’ll be up here on Saturday with my mom. It’ll be fun. It’s a great card. The Travers is anyone’s race – Stay Thirsty, Coil, all the horses who are running well right now are in it, then you’ve got Uncle Mo in the King’s Bishop.”

While Englehart originally hadn’t wished to ship Tamarind Hall to Saratoga early, he wanted to school the 4-year-old daughter of Graeme Hall in the paddock and he has been pleased with her adjustment to life at the Spa since arriving on Monday evening.

“The first day she went to the track, [her behavior] was uncharacteristic,” Englehart said. “She wasn’t pumped up, but she had her head bowed, it was almost like she was letting everyone know that she was here. Yesterday she schooled in the paddock; she was really good. I purposely brought her over for the second race and that way she got to see a little bit of the crowd and everything like that. In the race at Penn National she flipped in the paddock up against the stall, and ever since then I’ve [saddled] her on the walk and I’ve schooled her before every one of the races. For the Bed o’ Roses I schooled her at Finger Lakes , but here I know it’s going to be brand new to her. I figured let her see it once, and actually she didn’t turn a hair.”

Win or lose, Englehart is just hoping his filly will run her race on Saturday.

“My main thing is, I want to see her run well,” Englehart said. “That could be fourth [getting beaten] two or three lengths in this. I’d be real happy with just a nice, positive effort. I do think that she’s training as well as she was going into the Bed o’ Roses, so in the back of my mind, I’m kind of thinking that she’s going to run her type of race, which is really all you can ask for.”