• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Talamo Proves You Can Go Home Again

joe talamo 179
No affront to Thomas Wolfe, but Joe Talamo plans to go home again.

Actually, the 24-year-old rider, second in Santa Anita’s standings with 30 wins, is heading to the Fair Grounds to ride in his native state of Louisiana on Saturday.

Among other stakes mounts, Talamo rides Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Ria Antonia for trainer Jeremiah Englehart in the Grade III Rachel Alexandra Stakes.

Talamo will be riding at the Fair Grounds for the first time since he won the apprentice title at the New Orleans track seven years ago.

Soon after that, at the behest of the late Bobby Frankel, Talamo came to Southern California where he has enjoyed great success under the sagacious guidance of agent Scotty McClellan.

“This will be my first time back since I was 17,” Talamo said. “It’s amazing. We actually had a few chances to go there a couple years ago, but it didn’t pan out. It’s going to be great seeing my family and friends.

“That’s where it all started for me. When I was seven and eight, my dad (Joe; his family calls its jockey son ‘Joseph’) brought me to the Fair Grounds. It was a dream just to ride there. I never thought I’d be that successful.

"It will be good to go back and see everybody.”

Talamo will have to adjust to the weather. Apparently, so-called global warming hasn’t permeated Bayou Country this winter.

“My dad said it snowed there about two weeks ago, which is unreal,” Talamo said. “It gets cold there, but they never really get ice and snow like that. I just can’t wait to go eat there. They’ve got some first-class restaurants.”