• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Talamo Proves You Can Go Home Again

joe talamo 179
No affront to Thomas Wolfe, but Joe Talamo plans to go home again.

Actually, the 24-year-old rider, second in Santa Anita’s standings with 30 wins, is heading to the Fair Grounds to ride in his native state of Louisiana on Saturday.

Among other stakes mounts, Talamo rides Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Ria Antonia for trainer Jeremiah Englehart in the Grade III Rachel Alexandra Stakes.

Talamo will be riding at the Fair Grounds for the first time since he won the apprentice title at the New Orleans track seven years ago.

Soon after that, at the behest of the late Bobby Frankel, Talamo came to Southern California where he has enjoyed great success under the sagacious guidance of agent Scotty McClellan.

“This will be my first time back since I was 17,” Talamo said. “It’s amazing. We actually had a few chances to go there a couple years ago, but it didn’t pan out. It’s going to be great seeing my family and friends.

“That’s where it all started for me. When I was seven and eight, my dad (Joe; his family calls its jockey son ‘Joseph’) brought me to the Fair Grounds. It was a dream just to ride there. I never thought I’d be that successful.

"It will be good to go back and see everybody.”

Talamo will have to adjust to the weather. Apparently, so-called global warming hasn’t permeated Bayou Country this winter.

“My dad said it snowed there about two weeks ago, which is unreal,” Talamo said. “It gets cold there, but they never really get ice and snow like that. I just can’t wait to go eat there. They’ve got some first-class restaurants.”