• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Take Charge Indy Dominates Alysheba

WinStar Farm and Chuck and Maribeth Sandford’s Take Charge Indy swept past pace-setting  Right to Vote at the head of the stretch and drew off for a six-length victory in the 10th running of the $339,900 Alysheba presented by Besilu Stables (Grade II) for 4-year-olds and up on Friday afternoon at Churchill Downs.

Trained by Pat Byrne and ridden by Rosie Napravnik, Take Charge Indy covered the mile and a sixteenth on a fast main track in 1:41.47.

Cyber Secret, ridden by Robby Albarado, finished second, but was placed eighth by the stewards for interference into the run to the first turn. Hynn Book, who finished a length behind Cyber Secret, was elevated to second and Bourbon Courage was moved up to third.

The victory was worth $202,308 and increased Take Charge Indy’s earnings to $1,094,132 with a record of 12-3-4-2. It was the first victory for Take Charge Indy since winning the 2012 Florida Derby (GI).

Take Charge Indy is a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred son of A.P. Indy out of the Dehere mare Take Charge Lady. Take Charge Indy is a half-brother to Will Take Charge, an entrant in Saturday’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI).

Take Charge Indy returned $7.60, $4.40 and $3. Hynn Book, ridden by Garrett Gomez, returned $7.40 and $4.20 with Bourbon Courage paying $3 to show under Javier Castellano.

Laugh Track was fourth in the revised order of finish and was followed by Macho Macho, Patrioticandproud, Richard’s Kid, Cyber Secret and Right to Vote.

ALYSHEBA QUOTES

Rosie Napravnik, rider of Take Charge Indy, winner – “I was just sitting, waiting patiently and when we turned for home and I asked him I gave him a little tap on the shoulder and he was great. He accelerated like not every horse can do. He was really on his toes today. This horse was really in great order; they’ve been doing a great job with him. I was just really thankful for Pat Byrne and WinStar having me back on him today. He was so sharp and we got a great trip. He was just excellent coming down the land and accelerated really well.”

Pat Byrne, trainer of Take Charge Indy, winner – “We were looking for a big race and we got it this year. We beat some nice horses today and I just love the way he did it. He did it with authority. That’s key. It was a nice race. I’m very happy.”

Garrett Gomez, rider of Hymn Book, finished third, placed second – “He ran good. I thought when I got him out, I thought I was going to go ahead and get them. I expected to have more speed in there than what happened. I guess of couple of them got bothered leaving the gate. The three horse (Right to Vote) didn’t get away all that good. The one horse (Patrioticandproud) didn’t go forward. It just didn’t work out the way I thought it would.’’

Robby Albarado, rider of Cyber Secret, finished second, disqualified to eighth –“Great trip, ran hard, second best. (Take Charge Indy) didn’t get loose, just came home fast. Don’t take anything from him. My horse ran hard too to the wire.’’