• Competitive Edge returns in style at Gulfstream Park, leaving Mr. Jordan in his wake.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Shared Belief will run next in the Charles Town Classic, according to Jim Rome.Posted 1 day ago
  • California Chrome draws the #9 post in the $10 million Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Firing Line romps home in the Sunland Derby by a pole!Posted 5 days ago
  • Maybellene is put in the Sunland Park Oaks, as Callback is disqualified.Posted 5 days ago
  • El Kabeir works 5F in 59.97 at Belmont Park in preparation for the Wood Memorial on April 4Posted 5 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar surprises in the San Luis Rey at Santa AnitaPosted 6 days ago
  • Dubai Sky upsets Turfway Park's Spiral Stakes Posted 6 days ago
  • Don't Leave Me takes the Bourbonette Oaks (G3) at Turfway ParkPosted 6 days ago
  • By The Moon rolls in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 6 days ago

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Shadwell Stable’s Tajaaweed, clearly best in Saturday’s Grade III Arlington Handicap, will continue on his projected road to the Grade I Arlington Million five weeks later on Aug. 13, according to trainer Dan Peitz.

“I guess I started thinking about this plan last October at Keeneland,” said Peitz Sunday morning during training hours.  “I remember talking to Rick Nichols, general manager of Shadwell in Lexington about it after Tajaaweed finished fourth in the (Grade III) Sycamore Stakes.  He asked me if I wanted to take the horse to Hot Springs and try to win a stakes at Oaklawn or possibly at Fair Grounds.  I told him what I’d really like to do is freshen the horse up like they used to do in the old days and then point him toward another run in the Arlington Handicap and the Arlington Million like we did last year.  He told me that if that was what I wanted to do, the plan sounded good to him, too, so that’s what we did.  We turned him out.

“So far, my plan seems to be coming to fruition,” Peitz said of Tajaaweed, who finished third in last year’s Arlington Handicap and sixth in the Million.  “And now, after his win yesterday, we get a free ride to the Million (Million nomination fees waived after Saturday’s victory).  That was a nice race he ran yesterday and I think he’s running a little better this year than last, and now, hopefully, we’ll have a good five weeks to get him ready for the Million.”