• California Chrome covers 4F in :49.00 at Los Al (2/2)Posted 3 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $18,465 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Bayerd gets the job done in the Springboard Mile! Posted 4 days ago
  • Acceptance remains unbeaten in winning the King Glorious! Posted 4 days ago
  • Good Luck Gus best in the Damon Runyon! Posted 5 days ago
  • Mr. Z works 5F in 1:00.00 (2/24) at Los Al on Dec. 14Posted 5 days ago
  • Liam's Map gamely gets his first stakes win in the Harlan's Holiday! Posted 6 days ago
  • Micromanage over Vyjack in the Queens County! Posted 6 days ago
  • Sunbean does it again in the Louisana Champions Day Classic! Posted 6 days ago
  •  Merry Meadow gets up for the win in the Grade 3 Sugar Swirl!Posted 6 days ago

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Shadwell Stable’s Tajaaweed, clearly best in Saturday’s Grade III Arlington Handicap, will continue on his projected road to the Grade I Arlington Million five weeks later on Aug. 13, according to trainer Dan Peitz.

“I guess I started thinking about this plan last October at Keeneland,” said Peitz Sunday morning during training hours.  “I remember talking to Rick Nichols, general manager of Shadwell in Lexington about it after Tajaaweed finished fourth in the (Grade III) Sycamore Stakes.  He asked me if I wanted to take the horse to Hot Springs and try to win a stakes at Oaklawn or possibly at Fair Grounds.  I told him what I’d really like to do is freshen the horse up like they used to do in the old days and then point him toward another run in the Arlington Handicap and the Arlington Million like we did last year.  He told me that if that was what I wanted to do, the plan sounded good to him, too, so that’s what we did.  We turned him out.

“So far, my plan seems to be coming to fruition,” Peitz said of Tajaaweed, who finished third in last year’s Arlington Handicap and sixth in the Million.  “And now, after his win yesterday, we get a free ride to the Million (Million nomination fees waived after Saturday’s victory).  That was a nice race he ran yesterday and I think he’s running a little better this year than last, and now, hopefully, we’ll have a good five weeks to get him ready for the Million.”