• Multiple sources confirming McCraken will miss the Tampa Bay Derby due to slight ankle issue.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Avanti Bello (3-1) proves best to win his second straight Tiznow Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin (8-1) upsets the Grade 2 Risen Star Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Unified (2-1) makes a winning return in the Grade 3 Gulfstream Park Sprint.Posted 2 days ago
  • Enterprising (3-1) runs down Oscar Nominated in the Grade 3 Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 2 days ago
  • Morticia (2-1) game all the way in the Melody of Colors.Posted 2 days ago
  • Farrell (7-2) pulls away to win the Grade 2 Rachel Alexandra.Posted 2 days ago
  • Yorkiepoo Princess (9-5) races through fog to win the Busher Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Honorable Duty (5-1) holds on to take the Grade 3 Mineshaft Handicap.Posted 2 days ago
  • Believe in Bertie (3-5) sets new course record in Daisy Devine.Posted 2 days ago

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Shadwell Stable’s Tajaaweed, clearly best in Saturday’s Grade III Arlington Handicap, will continue on his projected road to the Grade I Arlington Million five weeks later on Aug. 13, according to trainer Dan Peitz.

“I guess I started thinking about this plan last October at Keeneland,” said Peitz Sunday morning during training hours.  “I remember talking to Rick Nichols, general manager of Shadwell in Lexington about it after Tajaaweed finished fourth in the (Grade III) Sycamore Stakes.  He asked me if I wanted to take the horse to Hot Springs and try to win a stakes at Oaklawn or possibly at Fair Grounds.  I told him what I’d really like to do is freshen the horse up like they used to do in the old days and then point him toward another run in the Arlington Handicap and the Arlington Million like we did last year.  He told me that if that was what I wanted to do, the plan sounded good to him, too, so that’s what we did.  We turned him out.

“So far, my plan seems to be coming to fruition,” Peitz said of Tajaaweed, who finished third in last year’s Arlington Handicap and sixth in the Million.  “And now, after his win yesterday, we get a free ride to the Million (Million nomination fees waived after Saturday’s victory).  That was a nice race he ran yesterday and I think he’s running a little better this year than last, and now, hopefully, we’ll have a good five weeks to get him ready for the Million.”