• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 16 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Tajaaweed Eyes Arlington Million

Shadwell Stable’s Tajaaweed, clearly best in Saturday’s Grade III Arlington Handicap, will continue on his projected road to the Grade I Arlington Million five weeks later on Aug. 13, according to trainer Dan Peitz.

“I guess I started thinking about this plan last October at Keeneland,” said Peitz Sunday morning during training hours.  “I remember talking to Rick Nichols, general manager of Shadwell in Lexington about it after Tajaaweed finished fourth in the (Grade III) Sycamore Stakes.  He asked me if I wanted to take the horse to Hot Springs and try to win a stakes at Oaklawn or possibly at Fair Grounds.  I told him what I’d really like to do is freshen the horse up like they used to do in the old days and then point him toward another run in the Arlington Handicap and the Arlington Million like we did last year.  He told me that if that was what I wanted to do, the plan sounded good to him, too, so that’s what we did.  We turned him out.

“So far, my plan seems to be coming to fruition,” Peitz said of Tajaaweed, who finished third in last year’s Arlington Handicap and sixth in the Million.  “And now, after his win yesterday, we get a free ride to the Million (Million nomination fees waived after Saturday’s victory).  That was a nice race he ran yesterday and I think he’s running a little better this year than last, and now, hopefully, we’ll have a good five weeks to get him ready for the Million.”