• 2-time Arc winner Treve is an impressive winner in her seasonal debut today at Saint-Cloud.Posted 1 day ago
  • Majestic City fights off Carve to win the Lone Star Handicap.Posted 4 days ago
  • Hard Not To Like skims the rail to score in the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 4 days ago
  • Street Story proves best in a sloppy edition of the Winning Colors.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lubash blows by his competition late to win the Kingston.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinctiv Passion just holds off favored San Onofre in the Los Angeles.Posted 4 days ago
  • Quezon rolls up late to score in the Bouwerie.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ostrolenka sharp in victory in Belmont's Mike Lee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar gets the job done as the Charles Whittingham favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Pleascach holds off Found in the Irish 1,000 Guineas.Posted 6 days ago

Tagg Weighs Baruch Options

Asked which of his three nominees – Beau Choix, Gathering Cloud and Radical Sabbatical – he planned to run in Friday’s Grade 2 Bernard Baruch Handicap, trainer Barclay Tagg demurred. Asked about Bernard Baruch himself, the trainer had considerable insight.

“I like Bernard!” Tagg said. “He was riding in a stagecoach one time out West and it had a couple million dollars in it, and they got held up by bandits – this is true – and he stuffed it under the seat. They made everybody get out and they took all their rings, all their jewelry, took all their trunks off and opened up the trunks, stole everything they had and rode off, and he still had his $2 million under the seat.

“He was a pretty smart guy – an adviser to eight presidents. His father was a country doctor in Camden, South Carolina, drove a horse and buggy and had a little black satchel and went house to house. Bernard Baruch discovered the baths up here, the warm springs, and his father had always talked about hydrotherapy for people, so he developed the springs and everything so his father would have something to do in his old age, and meantime he helped develop the race track and everything else, so that’s why they called that race the Bernard Baruch.

“I read two books about him. It took two books just to cover his life. There was a library in Cockeysville, Maryland, and I went by it on my way home every night. One afternoon, I left early and I was sitting in there reading books and I came across these two books and took them both home. Anyway, I nominated three horses to it and I don’t know what I’m going to do yet, but I’ve always wanted to win the Bernard Baruch.”