• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Tagg Weighs Baruch Options

Asked which of his three nominees – Beau Choix, Gathering Cloud and Radical Sabbatical – he planned to run in Friday’s Grade 2 Bernard Baruch Handicap, trainer Barclay Tagg demurred. Asked about Bernard Baruch himself, the trainer had considerable insight.

“I like Bernard!” Tagg said. “He was riding in a stagecoach one time out West and it had a couple million dollars in it, and they got held up by bandits – this is true – and he stuffed it under the seat. They made everybody get out and they took all their rings, all their jewelry, took all their trunks off and opened up the trunks, stole everything they had and rode off, and he still had his $2 million under the seat.

“He was a pretty smart guy – an adviser to eight presidents. His father was a country doctor in Camden, South Carolina, drove a horse and buggy and had a little black satchel and went house to house. Bernard Baruch discovered the baths up here, the warm springs, and his father had always talked about hydrotherapy for people, so he developed the springs and everything so his father would have something to do in his old age, and meantime he helped develop the race track and everything else, so that’s why they called that race the Bernard Baruch.

“I read two books about him. It took two books just to cover his life. There was a library in Cockeysville, Maryland, and I went by it on my way home every night. One afternoon, I left early and I was sitting in there reading books and I came across these two books and took them both home. Anyway, I nominated three horses to it and I don’t know what I’m going to do yet, but I’ve always wanted to win the Bernard Baruch.”