• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 1 day ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 2 days ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 2 days ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 2 days ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 2 days ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 3 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 3 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Sutherland, Garcia Tag team with Game On Dude

Jockey Chantal Sutherland

Chantal Sutherland has a symbiotic relationship going on with Martin Garcia. She rides Game On Dude; he works the horse.

“I know the horse very well,” said Sutherland, who has ridden Game On Dude in five of his 14 career starts, the last four in a row, including a game second-place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Classic last out on Nov. 5.

Sutherland will ride last year’s Santa Anita Handicap winner again Sunday when the 5-year-old Awesome Again gelding trained by Bob Baffert makes his 2012 debut in the Grade II San Antonio Stakes, a major steppingstone to the Grade I, $750,000 Big ‘Cap that will be run this year on March 3.

“It’s kind of a touchy situation,” Sutherland said. “Martin is doing his job for Bob, but I’m sure he would prefer to be actually riding the horse, so there’s a bit of competition there and I try not to rub it in. I appreciate what Martin’s done and I’d love to work the horse myself, but you know Bob.”

Game On Dude’s forte is speed, but when the gates open, the rider might have to make a split-second decision, depending on fate.

“With Bob,” Sutherland continued, “it’s kind of like, ‘You’re the pilot, but he’s in the control tower.’ It’s up to him. He could change his mind 10 times between now and Sunday.”