• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Sutherland, Garcia Tag team with Game On Dude

Jockey Chantal Sutherland

Chantal Sutherland has a symbiotic relationship going on with Martin Garcia. She rides Game On Dude; he works the horse.

“I know the horse very well,” said Sutherland, who has ridden Game On Dude in five of his 14 career starts, the last four in a row, including a game second-place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Classic last out on Nov. 5.

Sutherland will ride last year’s Santa Anita Handicap winner again Sunday when the 5-year-old Awesome Again gelding trained by Bob Baffert makes his 2012 debut in the Grade II San Antonio Stakes, a major steppingstone to the Grade I, $750,000 Big ‘Cap that will be run this year on March 3.

“It’s kind of a touchy situation,” Sutherland said. “Martin is doing his job for Bob, but I’m sure he would prefer to be actually riding the horse, so there’s a bit of competition there and I try not to rub it in. I appreciate what Martin’s done and I’d love to work the horse myself, but you know Bob.”

Game On Dude’s forte is speed, but when the gates open, the rider might have to make a split-second decision, depending on fate.

“With Bob,” Sutherland continued, “it’s kind of like, ‘You’re the pilot, but he’s in the control tower.’ It’s up to him. He could change his mind 10 times between now and Sunday.”