• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Sutherland, Garcia Tag team with Game On Dude

Jockey Chantal Sutherland

Chantal Sutherland has a symbiotic relationship going on with Martin Garcia. She rides Game On Dude; he works the horse.

“I know the horse very well,” said Sutherland, who has ridden Game On Dude in five of his 14 career starts, the last four in a row, including a game second-place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Classic last out on Nov. 5.

Sutherland will ride last year’s Santa Anita Handicap winner again Sunday when the 5-year-old Awesome Again gelding trained by Bob Baffert makes his 2012 debut in the Grade II San Antonio Stakes, a major steppingstone to the Grade I, $750,000 Big ‘Cap that will be run this year on March 3.

“It’s kind of a touchy situation,” Sutherland said. “Martin is doing his job for Bob, but I’m sure he would prefer to be actually riding the horse, so there’s a bit of competition there and I try not to rub it in. I appreciate what Martin’s done and I’d love to work the horse myself, but you know Bob.”

Game On Dude’s forte is speed, but when the gates open, the rider might have to make a split-second decision, depending on fate.

“With Bob,” Sutherland continued, “it’s kind of like, ‘You’re the pilot, but he’s in the control tower.’ It’s up to him. He could change his mind 10 times between now and Sunday.”