• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 1 day ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 5 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 5 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 5 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 6 days ago

Sunshine Millions Sprint Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

Rick Dutrow (This Ones for Phil) – “It was a great horse race. I’m glad everybody got to see it and I’m glad we were able to win it. When he won here last year (Sunshine Millions Dash) it was his first start for us, so we didn’t know what to expect, but he’s been breezing like clockwork and we expected him to run well today. He had chips removed from his knees (after finishing fifth in Woody Stephens at Belmont Park on June 6) and is a better horse for it. We considered running him in the Cigar Mile last fall, but decided to go with the easier allowance race at Laurel looking ahead to this year. Then we skipped a race at Calder (Kenny Noe Jr. on Dec. 26) and I’m glad we did, because he needed everything he had today. Well hope for an invitation to Dubai ($2 million Golden Shaheen on Mar. 27) down the straightaway like we did with Benny the Bull a couple years ago (he won).”

John Velazquez (Jockey, This One’s for Phil, 1st) – “When I saw that horse (Pashito the Che) on the lead, I knew he was the horse to beat, so I got right after him. At the three-sixteenth’s pole I got head-to-head with him, and from then on it was both of those horses. They fought every step of the way, all the way home, and it was just the luck of bob to me, I guess. When you get to ride horses like this, and they run the way those two did, it’s very exciting.”

Scott Lake (Trainer, Pashito the Che, 2nd) – “Johnny (Velazquez) rode a smart race with his early move. It was a tremendous effort from both horses; neither one wanted to give an inch. It was the kind of race the people love to see.”

Eibar Coa (Jockey, Pashito the Che, 2nd) - “From the quarter pole on, I thought he had me. I thought he could go by me at anytime. But I just kept riding, and my horse just kept fighting. But really, I thought he had me. My horse ran such a big race and he ran so fast. I was really proud of him.”