• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 1 day ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 2 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Sunny Desert on a Roll for Parisella

Since John Parisella claimed Sunny Desert for $35,000, the filly has gone from a sulking maiden to a four-time stakes winner. So, what does the trainer credit for the turnaround?

“When I claimed her she was in the back of her stall,” said Parisella. “With fillies, outside of maintenance, it’s mental, to get them in the game. I ordered a case of peppermints. It changed her around. She hears my voice. If I’m walking, she’ll stop and wait. I don’t know, but I’m not going to stop giving peppermints!”

On March 2, the 4-year-old peppermint-powered filly will attempt to become a graded stakes winner when she competes in Aqueduct’s Grade 2, $200,000 Top Flight Handicap, a 1 1/16-mile race for fillies and mares.

Owned by Saul and Max Kupferberg, Sunny Desert is riding a six-race winning streak that goes back to her 15 ¼-length maiden win on Aqueduct’s main track in March. Her streak also includes a pair of New York Stallion Stakes series victories, Belmont’s Judy Soda overnight stakes for New York-breds, and Aqueduct’s Cat Cay open overnight stakes on January 6 in her most recent start.

“You hope you can improve her enough where she can compete in New York-bred stakes, but I never thought – and I’m pretty conservative – that I’d be running in a Grade 2 and really thought I had a legitimate chance,” said Parisella. “The only thing going against her is that she has won six in a row; I hate streaks!”

The Cat Cay at one mile, 70 yards was her first start around two turns and beyond one mile.

“I always felt she could go long,” said Parisella. “A couple of races back she was totally relaxed. When I put her in the race going long, the open stakes, she didn’t break sharply because she was so relaxed. The geniuses trainers are, I thought with her speed she’d go wire-to-wire, but she didn’t break and came from off the pace. She really made me feel confident in her, to be two-dimensional.”