• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 9 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Summer Bird Splashes Past Quality Road in Gold Cup

There’s no way to say this without sounding like a disparagement of Summer Bird, who owes me absolutely nothing. He saved me in the Belmont Stakes and made me a Travers celebrity for 15 minutes. I owe him.

Older Comments about Summer Bird Splashes Past Quality Road in Gold Cup...

Summer Bird, too, saved me in the Belmont. I had him $10.00 ATB, and he was 11-1, which netted me almost $200. That said, his performance was excellent today. I thought Quality Road would win this race, and still have to wonder if on a dry track if Quality Road may still be able to beat Summer Bird. Because Q.R. ran at him very gamely,even after seeming to not like the mud at Saratoga in the Travers and still came close to winning. But I take nothing away from S.B. He ran like a true champion today, and I wish him all the best. I do look forward to the day that Quality Road gets to race Summer Bird and other top competitors on a dry track. That's when his speed will really show itself and on that day he may turn the tables and get at least a small measure of revenge.