• Bowies Hero (3-1) much the best in the Oceanside Stakes on opening day at Del Mar.Posted 1 day ago
  • Irap (7-5) romps home a big winner of the Indiana Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Eagle (5-2) rides the rail to victory in the Schaefer Memorial.Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast (2-5) powers home nicely in the Los Alamitos Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) wins the Delaware Handicap by only a length.Posted 5 days ago
  • Disco Partner (7-5) runs away from his Forbidden Apple competition.Posted 5 days ago
  • Frostmourne (1-2) turns the Kent Stakes into his own private party.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harry Angel defeats Limato and Caravaggio in the Group 1 July Cup.Posted 5 days ago
  • European champion filly Minding has been retired from racing.Posted 7 days ago
  • Hawkbill (Kitten's Joy) scores in the Group 2 Princess of Wales's at Newmarket.Posted 7 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Summer Bird Splashes Past Quality Road in Gold Cup

There’s no way to say this without sounding like a disparagement of Summer Bird, who owes me absolutely nothing. He saved me in the Belmont Stakes and made me a Travers celebrity for 15 minutes. I owe him.

Older Comments about Summer Bird Splashes Past Quality Road in Gold Cup...

Summer Bird, too, saved me in the Belmont. I had him $10.00 ATB, and he was 11-1, which netted me almost $200. That said, his performance was excellent today. I thought Quality Road would win this race, and still have to wonder if on a dry track if Quality Road may still be able to beat Summer Bird. Because Q.R. ran at him very gamely,even after seeming to not like the mud at Saratoga in the Travers and still came close to winning. But I take nothing away from S.B. He ran like a true champion today, and I wish him all the best. I do look forward to the day that Quality Road gets to race Summer Bird and other top competitors on a dry track. That's when his speed will really show itself and on that day he may turn the tables and get at least a small measure of revenge.