• Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 3 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 5 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 6 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 6 days ago
  • Verve's Tale (20-1) powers by Lewis Bay late to win the Comely.Posted 6 days ago
  • Texas Ryano (2-1) much the best in the Hollywood Turf Cup.Posted 7 days ago

Summer Applause Gallops to Victory in DuPont

Summer Applause wins 2013 DuPont at Pimlico.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Gillian S. Campbell, Greenwood Lodge Farm, Inc., Dan Clark & Greg Skoda’s Summer Applause attended the pace, assumed the lead in mid-stretch and galloped to victory in the $150,000 Allaire DuPont Distaff Stakes (G3) for fillies and mares at Pimlico Race Course.

John Velazquez had the riding assignment on the Chad Brown trainee, a daughter of Harlan’s Holiday. Summer Applause collected her third stakes victory, having already won the Rachel Alexandra at Fair Grounds in February and the Top Flight Handicap (Grade 2) at Aqueduct in March.

Summer Applause, who covered 1 1/16 miles in 1:46.54, finished two lengths clear of runner-up Sea Island.  Brushed by a Star finished third.

Favored in a field of five fillies and mares, Summer Applause paid $5.20 to win.

ALLAIRE DUPONT DISTAFF STAKES QUOTES

Chad Brown (trainer, Summer Applause, winner) – “She ran great. She was spotting everyone six pounds. I was worried about that when I was handicapping the race the last couple days. To really pull away like that and to run such a strong race against some nice fillies, giving weight, I’m really proud of her. We didn’t know what the pace was going to be, so I left it up to Johnny.

John Velazquez (jockey, Summer Applause, winner) – “There wasn’t much speed in the race. I wanted to stay reasonably close to the lead. I asked her for run in the last quarter of a mile and she responded well. We knew it was going to be a slow pace coming into the race. When I needed to move with her she gave me the run I asked for.”

Shug McGaughey (trainer, Sea Island, 2nd) –“I thought she ran a good race. There wasn’t any pace and she made a good run at her. I thought maybe we were going to get her at the head of the stretch, but it’s a pretty nice filly that won.”

Javier Castellano (jockey, Sea Island, 2nd) – “I liked the way she ran, but unfortunately we were second best today. She put in a good effort and I was satisfied with the way she did it.”