• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Summer Applause Gallops to Victory in DuPont

Summer Applause wins 2013 DuPont at Pimlico.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Gillian S. Campbell, Greenwood Lodge Farm, Inc., Dan Clark & Greg Skoda’s Summer Applause attended the pace, assumed the lead in mid-stretch and galloped to victory in the $150,000 Allaire DuPont Distaff Stakes (G3) for fillies and mares at Pimlico Race Course.

John Velazquez had the riding assignment on the Chad Brown trainee, a daughter of Harlan’s Holiday. Summer Applause collected her third stakes victory, having already won the Rachel Alexandra at Fair Grounds in February and the Top Flight Handicap (Grade 2) at Aqueduct in March.

Summer Applause, who covered 1 1/16 miles in 1:46.54, finished two lengths clear of runner-up Sea Island.  Brushed by a Star finished third.

Favored in a field of five fillies and mares, Summer Applause paid $5.20 to win.

ALLAIRE DUPONT DISTAFF STAKES QUOTES

Chad Brown (trainer, Summer Applause, winner) – “She ran great. She was spotting everyone six pounds. I was worried about that when I was handicapping the race the last couple days. To really pull away like that and to run such a strong race against some nice fillies, giving weight, I’m really proud of her. We didn’t know what the pace was going to be, so I left it up to Johnny.

John Velazquez (jockey, Summer Applause, winner) – “There wasn’t much speed in the race. I wanted to stay reasonably close to the lead. I asked her for run in the last quarter of a mile and she responded well. We knew it was going to be a slow pace coming into the race. When I needed to move with her she gave me the run I asked for.”

Shug McGaughey (trainer, Sea Island, 2nd) –“I thought she ran a good race. There wasn’t any pace and she made a good run at her. I thought maybe we were going to get her at the head of the stretch, but it’s a pretty nice filly that won.”

Javier Castellano (jockey, Sea Island, 2nd) – “I liked the way she ran, but unfortunately we were second best today. She put in a good effort and I was satisfied with the way she did it.”