• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 15 hours ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 1 day ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 1 day ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 1 day ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 2 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 2 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Successful Mission Never Headed in Elkwood

Live Oak Plantation’s Successful Mission took command out of the gate and never looked back, besting his eight rivals to capture the $75,000 Elkwood Stakes at Monmouth Park on Saturday.

Trained by Edward Plesa Jr., Successful Mission covered the mile over a fast main track in 1:35 and paid $11, $5.80 and $4.20.  It was 7 ¼ lengths back to Hockley who completed the $71.20 exacta and paid $7.40 and $4.20.  Not Abroad rallied to finish another 7 ½ lengths back in third, good for a $6 show mutuel.  Post-time favorite Get Serious failed to fire in the Elkwood, a race originally scheduled for the turf, and finished last.

“He was very comfortable,” said winning jockey Chuck C. Lopez.  “I worked him the other day and he handled the dirt great for a turf horse.  I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to beat Get Serious to the lead but I worked on my horse and was able to get the jump.  I looked back at the eighth pole and couldn’t believe how far in front I was.”

A 5-year-old gelding by Successful Appeal from the Cryptoclearance mare Ava Knowsthecode, Successful Mission sports a record of 8-0-2 from 17 starts.  He has earned $332,643 for his connections.