• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Successful Mission Never Headed in Elkwood

Live Oak Plantation’s Successful Mission took command out of the gate and never looked back, besting his eight rivals to capture the $75,000 Elkwood Stakes at Monmouth Park on Saturday.

Trained by Edward Plesa Jr., Successful Mission covered the mile over a fast main track in 1:35 and paid $11, $5.80 and $4.20.  It was 7 ¼ lengths back to Hockley who completed the $71.20 exacta and paid $7.40 and $4.20.  Not Abroad rallied to finish another 7 ½ lengths back in third, good for a $6 show mutuel.  Post-time favorite Get Serious failed to fire in the Elkwood, a race originally scheduled for the turf, and finished last.

“He was very comfortable,” said winning jockey Chuck C. Lopez.  “I worked him the other day and he handled the dirt great for a turf horse.  I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to beat Get Serious to the lead but I worked on my horse and was able to get the jump.  I looked back at the eighth pole and couldn’t believe how far in front I was.”

A 5-year-old gelding by Successful Appeal from the Cryptoclearance mare Ava Knowsthecode, Successful Mission sports a record of 8-0-2 from 17 starts.  He has earned $332,643 for his connections.