• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Successful Mission Never Headed in Elkwood

Live Oak Plantation’s Successful Mission took command out of the gate and never looked back, besting his eight rivals to capture the $75,000 Elkwood Stakes at Monmouth Park on Saturday.

Trained by Edward Plesa Jr., Successful Mission covered the mile over a fast main track in 1:35 and paid $11, $5.80 and $4.20.  It was 7 ¼ lengths back to Hockley who completed the $71.20 exacta and paid $7.40 and $4.20.  Not Abroad rallied to finish another 7 ½ lengths back in third, good for a $6 show mutuel.  Post-time favorite Get Serious failed to fire in the Elkwood, a race originally scheduled for the turf, and finished last.

“He was very comfortable,” said winning jockey Chuck C. Lopez.  “I worked him the other day and he handled the dirt great for a turf horse.  I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to beat Get Serious to the lead but I worked on my horse and was able to get the jump.  I looked back at the eighth pole and couldn’t believe how far in front I was.”

A 5-year-old gelding by Successful Appeal from the Cryptoclearance mare Ava Knowsthecode, Successful Mission sports a record of 8-0-2 from 17 starts.  He has earned $332,643 for his connections.