• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 4 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Successful Dan Prepares for Stephen Foster at Keeneland

Trainer Charlie LoPresti and Successful Dan were on their way to Churchill Downs Saturday morning when LoPresti got word of showers and thunderstorms headed toward Louisville. Not wanting to work on a sloppy track, LoPresti turned the van around and worked Successful Dan six furlongs in 1:11.60 over Keeneland’s Polytrack.

“It was about 4:30 in the morning and we were almost to Versailles,” LoPresti said. “I heard storms were coming and so we turned around and headed back. I think we made the right call.”

Successful Dan, winner of the Ben Ali (Grade III) at Keeneland in his lone start of the year, is being pointed toward the $500,000-added Stephen Foster Handicap (GI) at Churchill Downs on June 15.

“He worked really well and (Keeneland clockers) got him the last quarter in 22 and change,” LoPresti said. “He’s spot on. He’ll have one more work and then he’ll run.”

LoPresti added that he is unsure whether Successful Dan will have his final tune up for the Stephen Foster Handicap at Keeneland or Churchill Downs.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do now that I’ve got him this close,” LoPresti said. “I may work him here (at Keeneland) one more time and then bring him over to Churchill three or four days before the race and gallop him over the track. I’m still undecided.”

Successful Dan, the older half-brother of defending Horse of the Year Wise Dan, will take on a competitive group of older horses in the Stephen Foster, including Breeders Cup Classic (GI) winner Fort Larned and Alysheba (GII) winner Take Charge Indy.

“If (Successful Dan) runs his race, he’s going to be tough to beat,” LoPresti said.