• Tequilita (5-2) returns to the winner's circle in the Grade 3 Charles Town Oaks.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Sharp Azteca (1-2) draws clear in the Grade 2 Kelso.Posted 1 day ago
  • West Coast (4-5) leaves the field far behind in the Grade 1 Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 1 day ago
  • It Tiz Well (5-1) bests Abel Tasman in the Grade 1 Cotillion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Coal Front (4-5) refuses to let American Pastime by in the Grade 3 Gallant Bob.Posted 1 day ago
  • Page McKenney (6-1) digs down and holds on in the Pa Derby Champion Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Off Limits (8-5) glides by her competition in the Grade 3 Noble Damsel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 7 days ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 7 days ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 8 days ago

Successful Dan Has Strong Whitney Gallop

Hours before drawing post position 1 in the field of eight for Saturday's Grade 1, $750,000 Whitney Invitational Handicap, Successful Dan had a strong open gallop down the stretch of the main track for trainer Charles LoPresti.

A 7-year-old Successful Appeal gelding, Successful Dan is making his 14th career start and first at Saratoga Race Course in the Whitney.

"He's had two good works over the track," LoPresti said. "We let him run down the lane a little bit this morning, so he's basically had three good trips over it. He's been galloping strong over it, and he hasn't missed a beat."

Owned by Morton Fink, Successful Dan has posted two bullet five-furlong works at Saratoga, going 1:00.61 on July 20 and 1:00.15 on July 26. LoPresti made a similar move earlier in the meet with Turallure, who was second by a head in a $95,000 allowance optional claimer here on July 24.

"I took him over to the turf, and he ran down there a quarter [mile] and out in three-eighths," LoPresti said. "I just kind of want to get it on their minds a little bit. You don't want to do too much to take it out of a horse.

"For me, I don't like to see horses work real close to a race, a black-letter work. My work should have been done a couple works ago, and it's worked out great. I've caught good racetracks, and the weather's been good. He's where I want him. If he shows up and he's the horse he used to be, he'll be tough."

Fourth in his most recent effort, beaten 15 lengths by Fort Larned in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster at Churchill Downs on June 15, Successful Dan has hit the board in 11 of 13 starts, including eight wins.

"I feel really good about him," LoPresti said. "The horse is really, really good right now. He's really good. He's on top of his game. I couldn't ask him to be any better."