• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 1 day ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 1 day ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 6 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 8 days ago

Strong Mandate Strolls Home in Hopeful

Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas celebrated his 78th birthday in style on Monday, watching Strong Mandate stroll to a 9 ¾-length victory in the Grade 1, $300,000 Hopeful, the featured race on closing day at Saratoga Race Course.

The bay son of Tiznow, owned by longtime Lukas clients Bob Baker and Bill Mack, rated kindly in third under jockey Jose Ortiz behind 7-2 favorite Corfu, who led through rapid fractions of 22.47 seconds for a quarter mile and 45.15 for the half.

Staying clear on the outside, Ortiz and Strong Mandate hit the top of the stretch in front as Corfu began to drop back, drawing clear with each stride down the middle of a muddy, sealed main track to hit the wire in 1:23.55 for seven furlongs.

Making his third start at Saratoga's 150th anniversary meet, Strong Mandate returned $16.60 for a $2 bet as the 7-1 sixth choice in a field of 10 2-year-olds.

It was the seventh career victory for Lukas in the Hopeful, and first since 2009 with Dublin, also owned by Mack and Baker.

"I thought he'd run huge; I really did," said Lukas. "I was a little concerned about the surface; you always are. He had a really good prep race, and he hadn't done anything [wrong] since then. I thought we'd get a good one, but you never expect to waltz home like that, though. Ever."

Strong Mandate debuted at Saratoga on July 22, finishing fifth of eight going 5 ½ furlongs, beaten 12 ¼ lengths. Fitted with blinkers for the first time, he returned on August 17, going gate-to-wire to break his maiden by 4 ½ lengths at odds of 16-1.

"I like to give all my horses a race without blinkers and let them get dirt in their face and go through the whole drill," Lukas said. "Second out, you'll see all my horses come with blinkers and usually improve, if they've got some ability. This is a pretty good horse."

Lukas, who captured the Grade 1, $1 million Travers for 3-year-olds with Will Take Charge on August 24, said he was not concerned with Strong Mandate being close to the fast pace of Corfu, winner of the Grade 2 Saratoga Special on August 11.

"He's a big, strong, powerful horse, but he's got a little bit of kick to him," said Lukas. "I told Jose, 'Don't be so surprised if you're laying right there. Just be a little careful with the fractions.' He was comfortable. I told him to come right up the four hole coming home, and it looks like he did."

Casiguapo, the longest shot in the field at 30-1, closed from midpack to be second, three-quarters of a length ahead of Lunarwarfare. They were followed under the line by Big Sugar Soda, Grade 2 Sanford winner Wired Bryan, Long On Value, All in Blue, King Cyrus, Corfu and Southern Blessing.

"I asked him a little bit because I knew [Corfu] is a tough horse," said Ortiz, who captured his first career Grade 1 race. "I cracked him one time on the shoulder and he put me right beside him, so I knew I had a lot of horse. At the eighth pole I looked back, and nobody was coming. I'm very happy, very excited."

Purchased as a yearling for $200,000, Strong Mandate pushed his purse earnings to $230,400.

"These guys, Bill Mack and Bob Baker, have been with me 25 years," Lukas said. "We've gone through a lot. We only buy two or three a year; most years two; this year we got three. They've stayed with us. We [had] some nice horses, but I don't know if we've [had] one this good."

Older Comments about Strong Mandate Strolls Home in Hopeful...

Good for José Ortíz. Good for D. W. Lukas.